Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone ever cured their cat of overgrooming?

(13 Posts)
hugoagogo Wed 18-Oct-17 17:33:20

Our cat has licked her tum bald for years and nothing I have tried has helped.
Poor thing just looks so scruffy and cold. sad

Makeroomforthemushrooms Wed 18-Oct-17 17:37:41

Mine stopped when I moved house. One of the other cats had peed in corners in the old place and though I couldn't smell it, I think she could, and it stressed her out.

Toddlerteaplease Wed 18-Oct-17 17:42:25

My parents Cat had loads of bald patches caused by overgrooming. Had hundreds of £’s worth of tears and the diagnosed with anxiety! He has Zykelene and it’s solved the problem. He’s still quite highly strung but is calmer.

Toddlerteaplease Wed 18-Oct-17 17:42:46

*tests.

Bamaluz Wed 18-Oct-17 17:43:27

Yes, my cat had bald back legs and tummy earlier this year.
He's so much better now.
We've used a combination of Feliway, Royal Canin Calm cat food and keeping up to date with various flea and worming treatments, but I think the real reason he isn't over grooming now is the fact that we shooed next doors cat away. He was constantly in our garden and my cat was stressed out.
Too scared of him regressing to give up all the other things though!

ifcatscouldtalk Wed 18-Oct-17 17:44:27

My cat has done this on and off for a while and we are no further forward. Tried felliway, changed diet to something vet recommended, always up to date with flea and worming treatment. He goes through spells of not over grooming but lately his started on his front legs again. I wasn't much help to you op but I'm interested in what others may suggest.

hugoagogo Wed 18-Oct-17 17:59:29

I am now eyeing next door's cat asleep in our back garden with suspicion.

Bamaluz Wed 18-Oct-17 18:08:15

Ah! It's made a massive difference to my lovely boy not having a big ginger thug around.

hugoagogo Wed 18-Oct-17 18:16:53

I love next door's cat though, he is a ginourmous massive softy. Him and my cat seem to tolerate each other quite well.
Anyway moving is not an option at the moment and I don't have the heart to shoo him out, pretty sure that would be pointless anyway as he would just go yowww and hop back over the fence.

Bamaluz Wed 18-Oct-17 18:27:21

I 'm quite sad about him going, I miss him tbh, and feel very guilty, he's been coming over since he was little, but my responsibility was to my cat. He just doesn't like other cats. He would disappear for the day while ginger lounged about the garden as though he owned the place.
I had to be quite forceful because yes, he would just miaow at me. He was very thick skinned, couldn,t take a hint at all. I ended up on antibiotics with an infected scratch. That was just from trying to shoo him , not grabbing him or anything.

Bluesheep8 Thu 19-Oct-17 13:35:07

Hi my lovely boy started doing this and seemed really itchy and uncomfortable, flea treatment always to to date...vet has advised that It's at least one allergy to something so he now has a steroid injection every couple of months which seems to have settled things down.

NightTimeIhadaBrainChange Thu 19-Oct-17 16:06:00

I noticed the other day that my cat's bald patches seem, in the main, to be improving. She's not shown me her belly for a while, but the tops of her legs are much better than they were, I'm sure. The only patch which is just the same is her tail :-(

But now one of my guineas seems to be suffering. I'm wondering if they're taking it in turns!

hugoagogo Sun 22-Oct-17 19:11:25

The vet has given her some steroid tablets, she is just having half every other day. After only a few days she seems perkier, is washing less and eating better!
We will have to wait and see if the hair grows back, but I feel bad I didn't push for more proactive treatment before. The vet always makes me feel as if it's not really a problem and just shrugs. hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now