Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Fleas in the garden?

(12 Posts)
Pinky333777 Wed 18-Oct-17 11:25:04

I keep finding fleas on my poor little cat, despite keeping on top of flea treatment (she has the drops).
This week I've treated the entire house (although I'm sure they haven't infested there yet, none of us have been bitten at least)
Treated and/or boil washed all linen and cat stuff.
The cat has had the tablets that kills fleas, twice this week. I sprayed her with the spray that can treat pets as well as upholstery and she is wearing a flea collar.
I'm combing her twice a day too.

Last night I was sure she was clear after combing. So I let her in the garden for ten mins (she sometimes goes out on a leash at night as we don't want her wandering off all night) hmmgrin
I combed her again as soon as I brought her in and immediately found two adult fleas angry

I've had enough!
Thought they HAD to be coming from the garden somehow.
I went on a mission for outdoor flea spray/insecticide today.
Nothing in tesco,B&M, or wilko. sigh
So I took a trip to a garden centre.
Found a spray that kills mainly insects, but it did include fleas.
I asked for advice from the clerk who made me feel as though I didn't have a clue - telling me it's probably not fleas, more likely midges.
I stood there trying to explain and justify myself!
He said there's nothing I can do, and talk to my vet.
That's fair enough, but I was sure the main issue was the garden and not my pet. So I bought the spray and went home to investigate my garden, specifically where the cat likes to be.

I've found what I strongly suspect to be a group of fleas under the bin!
They jumped as I sprayed them. Little buggers!
I've treated the immediate area and really really hope this is the end of the problem.

Anyone had fleas in their garden??
I'd always thought they stuck with pets and within the home.

I'm very very skint now, and if I see another flea I might scream confusedgrin

Whywonttheyletmeusemyusername Wed 18-Oct-17 11:28:37

There's a specific earth you can put in your garden - it's something like diametcous earth - but totally unsure of pronunciation and spelling. Google is your friend !!

Ridingthegravytrain Wed 18-Oct-17 11:33:53

Diatomaceous earth I think it is called. I drink the stuff grin it has lots of uses

thecatneuterer Wed 18-Oct-17 11:45:55

There are fleas all over the place. Trying to get rid of them outside would be like trying to treat only your garden so you don't get bitten by mossies when you're outside.

What is obviously going wrong here is the flea treatment you are using. What treatment is it? If it's not Advantage, Stronghold, Advocate or a couple of other from the vet then you are wasting your money. You can get Advantage online and from chemists as well as from the vet.

All the other stuff you can buy off the shelf not only doesn't work but can also be dangerous to and even kill your cat (permethrin is a potentially fatally ingredient),

And you need to treat your house with a spray but then again only use the proper stuff or you are wasting your money. You need either Acclaim or Indorex.

And flea collars don't work and will interact with the proper stuff when you buy it, so take that off her.

Just buy the proper treatments and you will have no more problems.

Pinky333777 Wed 18-Oct-17 12:08:31

I don’t understand how all these products are allowed to be sold as flea treatments if they don’t work!

I’m intending on getting my lovely cat the injection from our vet soon.

thecatneuterer Wed 18-Oct-17 12:11:08

I know. I don't understand it either. I don't know about flea injections. We don't use them. But anyway you will still need to treat your house with proper stuff.

Wolfiefan Wed 18-Oct-17 12:14:19

You can't rid the outside of fleas.
You can get decent treatment for your pet. See the vet and treat monthly. Not frontline.
Indorex the house.

Pinky333777 Wed 18-Oct-17 13:39:05

Thanks.
The house was done as I said x

Wolfiefan Wed 18-Oct-17 13:40:12

But with Indorex? Many OTC flea treatments are ineffective or even dangerous.

Orangebird69 Wed 18-Oct-17 13:44:24

What Wolfie said. Effective flea treatment is not cheap or sadly, convenient. Indorex for the house and something from the Vet for the fleas - Advocate/Advantage/Stronghold etc. Not front line. And definitely nothing from supermarkets, Bob Martin etc. It's shite.

viques Wed 18-Oct-17 13:56:59

Please take the collar off. It isn't helping with the fleas and could cause your cat an injury.

The level of insecticide and chemical stuff you are putting on her is also very dangerous, drops, spray, collar, tablets! Far too much for her system, you will make her ill.

thecatneuterer Wed 18-Oct-17 14:00:31

Yes take the collar off. If the house wasn't done with either Acclaim or Indorex then it wasn't done.

And I haven't heard about any spray that you can spray on both the cat and in the house but it does sound dangerous.

So stop with all the over the counter treatments and get the proper stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now