Talk

Advanced search

bitey kitten!

(6 Posts)
stilllovingmysleep Wed 18-Oct-17 07:19:04

Our gorgeous ragdoll kitten (4-5 months now) is very playful but also quite scratchy / bitey! She loves playing games that involve jumping on us and biting the back of my head / my hand etc grin

I'm sure this has been discussed here before, but tips to encourage less biting?

Doobigetta Wed 18-Oct-17 07:36:38

Just disengage whenever she does it- stop the game, give her a timeout, whatever. She'll learn she has to be gentle quite quickly. I got mine a couple of big, soft dog toys that she could have proper rolling around fights with to use up some of the energy.

SilverSpot Wed 18-Oct-17 11:22:07

Yup just stop whatever you are doing when she gets bitey. Also never use your hands to tig with her - play with toys.

Doobigetta Wed 18-Oct-17 17:54:57

Mine stopped doing this when we trained her, but the funny thing is at 8 months she has just started doing it again, but with a lot more control and it doesn't hurt. So she grips my wrist and kicks at it and puts her mouth around my hand, but seems to have learned how to pretend rather than do it for real. It's generally just really cute now, but if she does start to get too rough again I just go back to the stop and timeout routine.

Wolfiefan Wed 18-Oct-17 17:57:26

She's not a terrible tortie is she?!
Use feathers etc on sticks to keep the biting away from you. A laser toy (watch eyes!) is great to tire them out. A ball is also a good target. And I think we had something called a kickeroo they liked to murder!!

SilverSpot Wed 18-Oct-17 18:39:54

@Doobigetta that is so interesting, my 10 month old has basically started going that - grabs at my wrist then gives my wrist/arm/hand a wide eyes frenzied but very gentle bite (more like a mouth close) whilst purring wildly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now