Talk

Advanced search

Amount of kitten food

(5 Posts)
ZanyMobster Mon 16-Oct-17 17:19:04

Hi, I have 2 13 week old kittens and I'm not really sure how much to feed them.

I have been told that cats will happily eat everything you put down so I'm conscious I don't want to over feed them.

I have been using a mixture of dry/wet food and am clear if using one or the other but not really sure if I am using a mixture of both so just wondered if anyone can help.

Thanks.

dementedpixie Mon 16-Oct-17 18:14:09

My two don't clear their bowls all at once so i tend to just free feed dry and then do a few small meals of wet food. how much are you giving?

dementedpixie Mon 16-Oct-17 18:16:20

P.s. mine are now 11 months old and i still leave dry food down and then give a pouch each of wet food twice a day

Weedsnseeds1 Mon 16-Oct-17 18:38:12

Most cats won't eat everything just because it's there ( there's always the gut bucket exception), they are much better at self regulation than dogs.
Kittens need little and often, their stomachs aren't very big.
I would just do it by proportion e.g. if it's two pouches a day of wet and 40g a day of dry ( as an example) I would do 2 meals of 0.5 pouches and 2 meals of 10g of dry.

ZanyMobster Mon 16-Oct-17 19:53:22

Brilliant thank you. They actually don't always finish everything but I was worried I may be giving them too much, sounds as if I am doing ok.

I have been giving them 1.5 pouches each per day then just leaving dry food down all day (as per the instructions of the rehoming lady) but I was worried I was putting too much dry food down.

They seem happy enough, they love fresh chicken loads, I also gave them fresh salmon, they were fine yesterday but one was a little bit sick today after it. They had their vacs today so maybe it was that. He seems ok now though, they are currently performing a WWE show on the sofa grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now