Talk

Advanced search

Flouting his curfew

(11 Posts)
shouldwestayorshouldwego Mon 16-Oct-17 06:59:54

Dboy cat (4) has always been more adventurous and enjoyed the nightlife compared to his sister who likes to slouch around at home on the sofa. He has generally been good at coming home though.

We don't have a cat flap, we are planning to move in next 6 months and not going to put one through the conservatory now. In the interests of full disclosure they adopted us, they were being poorly treated and starving and it was a choice between our house despite its woeful lack of a cat flap or rescue centre and possibly pts as unpopular colours and very sickly. I work from home so often during the day they just have giant door cat flap open and come and go as they wish.

Back to wayward cat. He has always come in at night, at the time he wants to of course but recently he has started to stay out all night or come in during the early hours. I know that he has been partying recently with some field mice because I see him in the garden. I am wondering what we can do to get him to stick to his curfew. I really don't think he has another family. He is at the moment spending most days sleeping off his hangover at home, he has just come in now so they would need to be letting him out very early and often if I am up around 3am and call him he will emerge from a hiding place where he had curled up to sleep. He just seems to have turned nocturnal having previously adapted to our timetable.

He is at the moment being all cute and affectionate to make up for it and rubbing the phone to say hello to you all.

Bubblesblue Mon 16-Oct-17 07:10:31

Pic please 😻 love your description of his partying!

How do you reward him when he comes in?

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 16-Oct-17 07:32:22

I don't feed mine his last meal until he's in but this only works because he's a rubbish hunter.

I think you need a treat at home time. It doesn't take them long to cotton on.

5rivers7hills Mon 16-Oct-17 11:26:37

Call him in for dinner and a treat, then shut him in?

shouldwestayorshouldwego Mon 16-Oct-17 11:50:06

We tend to let them come and go to their food, and unlike his sister he cares little for food treats. I think he is a good hunter. He never brings anything back. In the three months that they were living rough his sister (who is quite frankly an embarrassment to the feline world) became skinny and emaciated whereas he was a healthy weight. I think he just catches and eats what he wants if he gets the munchies on his party nights. He is of course offended when we let him in that we haven't slept by the door awaiting his return, even if we did call him 5 mins earlier. When he does come in he always wants a stroke and attention before any food, and often he walks straight past the food to a spot by the radiator for a doze. He is a typical 19yr old out partying all night scoffing kebabs then wanting a crash pad during the day. Will look for a pic.

TheLongRider Mon 16-Oct-17 12:34:33

Mine are on curfew too much to their disgust! I think the warm weather and autumn hunting opportunities are too much to pass up.

We do have a cat flap but we lock it just before their evening meal at 6pm. I have used a treat as a reward for good behaviour later in the evening. It's very difficult when you have a cat that loves the outside.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Mon 16-Oct-17 12:35:52

Uploading photos doesn't seem to work at the moment on my phone but he is pure white shorthair with yellow eyes. Definitely not deaf (except when it suits him), he has even learnt to say 'ooouuut' when he wants to go out.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Mon 16-Oct-17 12:40:27

He is the only cat in the world who doesn't like dreamies too.

TheLongRider Mon 16-Oct-17 14:30:53

It's usually white cats with blue eyes that are dead. Yellow eyes and white fur, he probably understands English and talks back to you!

shouldwestayorshouldwego Mon 16-Oct-17 16:38:35

Yeah, the vet said usually yellow eyes are ok doesn't stop every new vet asking about it He probably can understand but just can't be bothered to!

Toddlerteaplease Mon 16-Oct-17 17:20:21

We used to have a white cat. The CPL originally thought he was deaf. Then they realised he was just ignoring them. He was a beautiful cat.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: