Talk

Advanced search

Long haired cat

(18 Posts)
wtffgs Sat 14-Oct-17 19:36:17

Lovely newish rescue has long fur and accumulates all sorts of seeds etc o. Her daily ventures into our (semi-rural) garden. I brush her daily (which she despises!) but I'm worried what will happen if she ingests all these seeds <may be slightly neurotic grin>

Want2beme Sat 14-Oct-17 21:25:19

I've had a few long haired over the years and they never had problems with the debris swallowed from grooming. I live rural as well. I think she'll be ok, especially as you groom her regularly.

Grumpyoldpersonwithcats Sat 14-Oct-17 21:35:28

None of my long haired cats have ever got ill through cleaning themselves. Even Basil after rolling in dead leaves.

FluffySavage Sat 14-Oct-17 21:46:11

Basil looks like he was enjoying himself! Another one with a floofy cat here, he's never had problem with swallowing seeds. You might find hairballs are an issue but you can get a paste from the vets called de-furrum (looks and smells like marmite) that fixes the problem. Floofycat loves it, will lick it from the tube grin

Toddlerteaplease Sat 14-Oct-17 21:58:20

Floods cats here too. Never had a huge problem with degardening the cars. My garden is mainly pebbles so they don’t pick much up.

Toddlerteaplease Sat 14-Oct-17 21:59:07

Mine have Royal Canin Persian food, never ever had a hairball from either of them.

Icequeen01 Sun 15-Oct-17 08:38:09

I've got two very fluffy ginger boys who spend hours in the fields and then drag half of the field back with them. Mine are constantly shaking their heads and spitting those tiny little sticky balls out. I find them stuck to everything! I brush my boys as well but I'm sure they ingest a lot of the debris but they have never had any problems.

Weedsnseeds1 Sun 15-Oct-17 09:24:56

It doesn't seem to be a problem. Current cat is always covered but he loves being brushed. He also gets slugs stuck to his tummy and pantaloons hmm
Old girl didn't seem to get as messy, although she was long haired too, other than when we lived near some horse chestnut trees. The sticky covers that come off the buds in spring used to be plastered all over her and would stick to her tongue when she tried to clean them off! She didn't like brushing and the things were a nightmare to remove, fur full of "glue", bits stuck to the furniture and my clothes!

TheLongRider Sun 15-Oct-17 10:33:42

Another semi-longhair here.
There's usually a circle of spat out burrs and seeds in the mornings around his sleeping quarters. I don't think he eats them and he's very happy to be de-seeded!

Teddy7878 Sun 15-Oct-17 10:37:42

Get your cat a tangle teaser brush (meant for humans but works on anything with hair).
My cat hated being brushed with the cat brush as thing the bristles were too wirey. He loves the tangle teaser though and purrs like an engine when I brush him now

Toddlerteaplease Sun 15-Oct-17 15:48:37

I use a human tangle teaser for my Persians. It’s brilliant. And doesn’t make them go static.

wtffgs Sun 15-Oct-17 16:12:23

A tangle teaser?! Wow! What a fab idea. She might even like it better than the cat brush.

Good to know this isn't likely to be a problem for her.

I hadn't thought about slugs attaching themselves to her sadenvy

Teddy7878 Sun 15-Oct-17 16:37:15

My Maine coon gets slugs on his coat too. I remember one summer he came in with about 8 little slugs on him that were all still alive. Hideous! He once had a huge slug on his tail too

ocelot41 Sun 15-Oct-17 19:37:53

If it's any consolation my MAC got a giant smelly soft poor stuck in her fluffy trouserage today. Wet wipes did not suffice - she had to be held down with a towel and rear end given a trim to get off all the offending scunge. She is currently perfecting her 'I am SO disappointed in you' look.

ocelot41 Sun 15-Oct-17 19:38:28

Sorry, that should be MC - Maine Coon

ocelot41 Sun 15-Oct-17 19:39:01

And poo, not poor. Bloody autocorrect, sorry

Doobigetta Sun 15-Oct-17 22:12:46

That's the worst bit- having to trim pooey bum fur. Mine HATES it and I end up chasing her around the bathroom with the scissors. Anyone got any tips?

Icequeen01 Mon 16-Oct-17 19:16:25

I got my vet to shave one of my cats bottoms once due to a similar problem. It was a bit off putting having his little bottom smiling at me everyday so I let it grow back. 😀

As well as bringing in all the debris from the fields one of mine loves to scratch around in old bonfires. This was the state of his paws one night when he came home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now