Talk

Advanced search

Will my cat ever learn to use the catflap?

(3 Posts)
willyfog Wed 11-Oct-17 22:44:41

We adopted a rescue cat about 6 weeks ago. She's settled really well and has been going outside for about 3 weeks. The only issue we've had is that she just can't seem to use the catflap. I am out at work all day 3 days per week and she's been stuck indoors. She will go through the hole if it's open, even if it's only pegged open an inch or two, but if it's closed she won't even attempt to get through. I don't really want to leave it taped open now the weather is colder. I've tried putting her food on the other side but she just miaows.

She's quite young still, only a year or so and enjoys being outside. I'm worried she'll be unhappy if she's indoors 3 days a week, although she does go out for a bit before I leave and when I get home. I've noticed she's prone to biting on evenings when she's been indoors much of the day.

My last rescue cat had always lived indoors until we got her, but she mastered the catflap immediately. I've not come across a cat who won't use one before. Has anyone managed to train their refuser to use the catflap?

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 11-Oct-17 22:50:01

It took a week or two of posting our cat through ,dh on side and waving some Dreamies and me shoving him throughgrin

He would still rather us open the door but he uses it no problem now. Keep at it smile

willyfog Wed 11-Oct-17 23:00:26

Thanks. A fun weekend lies ahead of us then.smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now