loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is it time?

(10 Posts)
McBounty Mon 09-Oct-17 22:11:49

Hi everyone.

We are first time cat owners.
Our kittens will be 15 weeks old tomorrow. So in a weeks time, they will be 4 months old.

Is it time to get them booked in to be spayed and neutered for in a few weeks time? I think we will get our boy done first, then our girl a few weeks later.

They're from the same little and have been with us since 8 weeks old.

The reason I've come on to here to ask, is because our last vet said that we should wait until they're 6 months old. I don't want to risk our girl becoming pregnant if they hit early puberty.

What do you all think?

dementedpixie Mon 09-Oct-17 22:14:23

it's advised to get them done at 4 months. My 2 boys were neutered at just over 4 months but took them to a different vet as mine said 6 months too

Wolfiefan Mon 09-Oct-17 22:14:28

They need to be weighed. Why do them separately? That means keeping one quiet when the other one has recovered. And starving one when the other one can eat.

Wolfiefan Mon 09-Oct-17 22:15:02

Oh and I forgot. Our first cats were mum 2yrs old and her 18 month old son. Rescues.

dementedpixie Mon 09-Oct-17 22:17:24

Why do you plan to wait between neutering/ spaying? You could get them done at the same time

Vinorosso74 Mon 09-Oct-17 22:38:13

The recommended age is now 4 months assuming weight and everything else is ok. I agree it would be best to get them done at the same time seems best to get it done in one day.
Call the vet tomorrow.

Wolfiefan Mon 09-Oct-17 22:49:54

Vino that's why I mentioned weight. My two girls were tiny. We had to wait until about 5 months.

McBounty Tue 10-Oct-17 16:37:04

Thanks guys.

I've just booked them in for the 25th of this month, together. I haven't a clue why I was going to do it separately.

cozietoesie Tue 10-Oct-17 17:18:48

Well done. smile

EachandEveryone Tue 10-Oct-17 18:04:14

Mine was done at five months they wanted her to be 2.5 kg. Wheres the photos?wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now