Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What is the best treatment for fleas?

(7 Posts)
Eggsellent Sun 08-Oct-17 19:44:05

As the title suggests we are having an issue with fleas! We have treated eggcat twice with advocate - the second dose was given a week after the first after we found that she was still crawling with them and a google search suggested that this is completely safe to do. We have also given her one of those 4fleas tablets and completely deep cleaned and sprayed the house with indorex. I thought the problem had gone but I've just combed through her and found 5 very lively ones! Can anyone suggest another treatment I could try? I don't mind paying out but it's costing a fortune for all these things that don't work. Thanks - and sorry if reading this has made you itch!

Vinorosso74 Sun 08-Oct-17 20:20:46

Advocate generally works but no idea how quickly. Stronghold is another good one but I think you need to ask your vet for advice.
Probably worth spraying the house again too.

Wolfiefan Sun 08-Oct-17 20:22:36

Please don't rely on Google for vet advice. Always consult a vet.
Any chance cat is picking up new fleas and you're sporting them before they die? Playing with a hedgehog?

NorthernLurker Sun 08-Oct-17 20:23:26

I would speak to the vet. The five you found could have hatched in the house, leapt on board and were doomed by the advocate but you found them first.

MadisonMontgomery Sun 08-Oct-17 20:24:12

Capstar tablets. My cat had fleas & couldn’t shift them - I’d frontlined her, indorexed the house, put diatomaceous earth down, bought a plug in flea killer - basically everything you could think of! Gave her a tablet about 8pm and groomed her at lunchtime the next day and literally all that was coming off was dead fleas. Completely broke the cycle and whilst she still gets the odd flea I can keep it under control.

Eggsellent Sun 08-Oct-17 21:56:49

Thanks for the suggestions. Wolfiefan that is a possibility as there is a lot of wildlife (and other cats) around here. In that case I guess we wouldn't need to do anything apart from keeping up to date with her advocate treatments? It's just concerning that the fleas didn't look like they had been affected by the treatment at all. Advocate has always worked well for us but this is bringing back memories of when frontline suddenly stopped working! The house has been sprayed all over with indorex and we haven't seen any fleas in here so I don't think they came from here. I guess I will need to speak to the vet anyway to make sure there are no interactions or overdose risk from further treatment on top of what she's already had.

Wolfiefan Sun 08-Oct-17 22:24:30

We use advocate and never had an issue. Remember fleas actually have to bite before they start to die.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now