Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

On of those threads about rehoming or the alternatives

(24 Posts)
akaWisey Sat 07-Oct-17 11:11:05

I think I may be facing the prospect of rehoming my lovely two Raggies.

I will probably lose my public sector job in the next few months. Because of the part of the UK I live in, my options would be to try and work in London or a move elsewhere in the UK to find work. Working F/T in London would be a 12 hour day and at my stage of life I don't think I can do it although I'm looking because quite frankly I need to pay my mortgage somehow.
I dread the thought of having to move to another part of the UK where I have to start all over again, away from my family.

My two are homebodies and always have been especially Lulu who is nudging the keyboard as I type. I love them and their company, having them to look after (even though they're a bit of a pain sometimes) and for them to be waiting expectantly at the front door for me to trip over when I come home from work.

But the thought of leaving them alone for even longer than I currently do, with all their toys and stuff, doesn't feel right. At the moment my DS comes in once a day on one of the days when I leave the house at 7am and don't get back till about 9pm. but I don't feel I can ask him to do that every day. I don't have family or friends who are able to take them FT so that we could at least see each other.

How can I do this if it does become a necessary step.

akaWisey Sat 07-Oct-17 11:11:58

sorry title should be One of those threads.

MaudesMum Sat 07-Oct-17 12:46:50

I feel your pain - I ended up working away from home for four days a week for what turned out to be 3 years, and was very worried about the effect on my cat. I paid for a cat sitter to come in once a day (could have been twice) to feed and play with the cat for a short while, so you might want to look into that, and maybe see how that goes? A good catsitter will report back on how the cats are, and some even send you photos. It is (of course) worth pointing out that cats do sleep lots (up to 19 hours a day, I think?) so a lot of the time you're away, they will actually be asleep. You may also find a role where you can negotiate working from home time and/or compressed hours so you don't have to be away from home every day anyway.

EachandEveryone Sat 07-Oct-17 14:07:43

I leave home at 645 am and get back at 9pm three times a week are you going to be doing it more than that? Mine are fine. On my days off they sleep after breakfast right through. If you can't face that a cat sitter in London is about 8-10 a day can you not do that?

EachandEveryone Sat 07-Oct-17 14:09:08

Lots of nurses at my place have high maintenance breeds that fit in with work just fine. What is it about yours that won't work?

akaWisey Sat 07-Oct-17 14:27:02

Thank you for your replies.

I won't move to London I'd be commuting, there's no way I can afford to move there.

I guess I don't know what won't work, I thought folk would say it's not fair on them to leave them on their own for so long 5 days a week. To me it doesn't feel fair on them. At the same time I don't want to lose them, I've had them both since they were kittens and they're 7 years old now.

EachandEveryone Sat 07-Oct-17 14:32:45

I wouldn't feel guilty it's what you have to do it will break your heart to give them up. Aren't they indoor cats anyway? Why don't you get a timer? Also maybe a cat sitter every other day to come in? I think there's a website catsitters.com

Allergictoironing Sat 07-Oct-17 15:53:57

I would worry if I had only 1 indoor cat, but with a pair it should be fine as they keep each other company. I haven't seen mine move from the bed where they are curled up together since about 8:30am, and don't expect to see them downstairs until maybe 6-7pm. They will also often snooze during the evening, and I reckon they average about 18-20 hours sleeping in every 24 grin.

Toddlerteaplease Sat 07-Oct-17 17:36:38

I work 13 hour shifts. My indoor Persians are perfectly happy being left. (I’ve checked with a camera) I think Ragdolls would probably be similar.

Want2beme Sat 07-Oct-17 19:36:05

You sound like a lovely cat slave. They will be happy enough sleeping and waiting for your return. Try not to feel guilty. They're used to you. Hope everything works out for you.

thecatneuterer Sat 07-Oct-17 21:12:42

They will be absolutely fine! They have each other and will be well cared for. Very few homes can be considered absolutely perfect. Don't give it a second thought. Take them with you wherever you go.

Toddlerteaplease Sat 07-Oct-17 23:08:20

Promise you OP, they will be fine. I don’t think you’d ever get over rehoming them.

Ts27 Sat 07-Oct-17 23:20:06

I think they will be fine- cats sleep around 16-20 hours a day. The fact that there are two of them, they will keep each other company.

You will be there on the weekend- ask your son to continue to pop in one day a week and perhaps hire a cat sitter one day a week. That only leaves 3 days a week and they'll will most likely sleep through most of it.

akaWisey Sun 08-Oct-17 08:07:33

Thank you I just wanted some reassurance they'll be ok if I have to make big life changes.

Here they are. Also thanking you for recognising their status in my life.

Allergictoironing Sun 08-Oct-17 08:22:30

Sooo floofy! grin

pterobore Sun 08-Oct-17 08:22:35

They will be fine! They'll much prefer being with you even if you do have long working day. They look so lovely!
Sorry to hear about your job though, crap time to work in the public sector

Silvercatowner Sun 08-Oct-17 10:28:52

Leaving them for long stretches isn't ideal (for you, they'll be fine!!!) but FAR more preferable than rehoming them.

Toddlerteaplease Sun 08-Oct-17 10:47:58

Omg they are so cute! They don’t look like the most err, dynamic of cats so I’m sure they’ll just sleep!

Want2beme Sun 08-Oct-17 11:09:01

Aah, very sweet. They look like they enjoy a good snooze. Good luck to you.

EachandEveryone Sun 08-Oct-17 14:15:44

Yes, please stop worrying they will be lovely to come home to.

5rivers7hills Mon 09-Oct-17 13:10:54

Gosh they will be fine!

Two of them, plenty of enrichment toys and a good environment. You could pay for a cat sitter to come in if you're worried.

Ski37 Mon 09-Oct-17 21:17:52

Try not to worry , they will be fine ..... I'm saying this as someone who works long/ erratic hours and has a single cat! I was worried that my cat would be lonely/ bored when I wasn't home - I eventually got a cat flap fitted so 'his highness' could come and go as he pleased as he constantly cried to go out... turns out all he wants to do is stay at home and lounge about on clean laundry 😡

Ski37 Mon 09-Oct-17 21:23:15

From my previous post I meant to say that your cats will be absolutely ok with staying with you!!!!!

CatchingBabies Wed 11-Oct-17 01:08:03

They will be fine!

I work 14 hour shifts and leave my 2 ragdolls. I use a timed feeder so they get there regular meals while I'm out and they have plenty of toys, beds and scratching towers. Plus they have each other for company. It would be different if it was just one but a bonded pair will adjust no problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now