Talk

Advanced search

Blind kitten

(13 Posts)
Bugsylugs Thu 05-Oct-17 00:20:03

We got 2 kittens from cat protection league one is blind (no one knew) anyone any advice they are 9 weeks old .

Grumpyoldpersonwithcats Thu 05-Oct-17 09:17:52

Completely unacceptable for CPL not to have recognised/informed you that the kitten was blind. Sounds harsh but my advice would be to return the kitten unless you are experienced in managing a blind cat and you actually want to have a blind cat.

thecatneuterer Thu 05-Oct-17 09:59:01

I've had two cats that went blind late in life. Both adapted amazingly within a few weeks. One continued to go out of the cat flap and sit in the garden, but did have problems finding her way back in. But generally they seemed very happy and being blind didn't seem to impact them much.

But yes, if it's not something you want to take on then I wouldn't flame you for returning her.

EachandEveryone Thu 05-Oct-17 10:04:09

Ive seen the little one on the CH website this morning shes adorable. How do they find their litter tray? Can they ever go out or do they even have the urge if they dont know any different?

NC04 Thu 05-Oct-17 11:10:44

From what I can tell, blind cats can be just as adventurous and happy as their seeing friends. Look up Martin Tucker on FB. I'm amazed how he climbs up on things! I'm sure if you got in touch with his humans they would give you some tips.

I think if you didn't want to keep the blind one you should give back both, to give them a chance to stay together. I'm sure splitting them up would be really distressing for the blind one. Personally, though, I'd keep them both.

dailydance Thu 05-Oct-17 11:24:57

Each - They can smell the litter. Also it’s nice if you can show them where it is first so there’s less confusion.

OP- I had a cat that went blind. He adjusted no problem at all - he was blind for several years. You may find that the other kitten will also help out the little blind one as they get older. Really, a blind cat is not much different to a seeing cat other than being let out. They play, mooch about, cuddle etc. I wouldn’t let the blind cat out if she has always been blind (like yours) in case she gets lost. The main thing you need to be aware of is moving furniture - they obviously bump into it the first few times after you’ve moved it.

Bugsylugs Thu 05-Oct-17 21:12:02

They are siblings oddly we had first pick they were with foster careers that's how they do it locally. We could have returned and there were other kittens from the same litter. lo chose them and wants to keep them both. We are happy to.
They were litter trained when we got them the people who looked after them had just noticed how laid back Buzz was with regards to food etc think was due to sight.
Yes is quite adventurous the large dog doesn't bother him at all they like to kiss and lick. Gets up on settee etc but needs help getting down.
We will be keeping

Bugsylugs Thu 05-Oct-17 21:12:44

It was the bumping into furniture that made us know

dailydance Fri 06-Oct-17 00:18:48

I’m chuffed to hear you’re keeping the kitten smile people are often put off by things “not quite right” and the poor kitties/puppies really struggle to find homes. Blindness isn’t a big issue at all for an indoor cat.

We used to let ours out but that was only because he could see for maybe half of his life so knew his way around. He used to walk along the garden walls rubbing his side along them so that he knew he was a safe distance from the road when he visited his afternoon home (we would walk behind him like a good slave just to be sure he was safe smile)

Bugsylugs Fri 06-Oct-17 23:00:27

Love it dance, he is very lovely managing well.

AlexaAmbidextra Sat 07-Oct-17 20:50:01

I've had a blind cat. He lost his sight at around 7 and lived very happily until he was 14. He loved his life and his blindness didn't bother him at all. I'm sure your little cat will be the same.

Alexindisguise Sat 07-Oct-17 20:55:58

I've had a blind cat too, he went blind at 6 and lived happily still going out until 14.

I think I'd probably keep him as a house cat as he's never seen the outdoors. Their sense of smell is amazing. Mine loved playing with balls with bells and crinkly things.

We just tried not to move furniture around or leave things on the floor and helped him gauge jumping distance by patting the floor/chair etc.

beansbananas Sat 07-Oct-17 21:39:04

I’m so glad this kitten has found a lovely home with his sibling. Being blind will probably make him more affectionate as he will appreciate touch so much more, and being kittens together will make him feel so much more secure and less lonely. As others have said, definitely keep them as house cats so they are both safe. But otherwise I would think just lots of interaction and gentle play will build up his confidence and trust in his new family. Cats are remarkable creatures and you get back what you put in... as a consequence I have two of the most loving cats imaginable and they are such great company. I guess one thing to be careful of is that you always check he isn’t in the way when you’re walking around. He obviously won’t know to move, so it might be easy to step on him. My boy cat loves to race me up the stairs and I’ve nearly fallen over because he’ll suddenly run between my legs or grab my ankles to play!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now