Talk

Advanced search

WWYD

(16 Posts)
HaveYouSeenMyHat Tue 03-Oct-17 19:04:27

DH and I love cats, always had them when we were growing up.

We had 2 lovely rescue cats but unfortunately they were both killed on the road despite us keeping them in at night.

We've just moved (but still live near the same road) and next door have a gorgeous old cat who is so friendly and affectionate. Both our children (3 and 5) love this cat and it's helped them overcome their fear of animals.

My eldest has autism and has been asking if we can get a cat. I do think a pet would be a wonderful thing for both children. I know how much I loved having a cat throughout my childhood.

So my heart is definitely saying get cat but my head is saying, what if it gets killed by a car? Will we always be worrying every time it goes outside?

Thanks for any advice.

YesItsMeIDontCare Tue 03-Oct-17 19:09:55

I live on a VERY busy road. Nope, busier than that!

I specifically looked for a cat who needed an indoor only home and found Leroy who has FIV and has to stay away from other cats. Turns out he’s happy to go for walks on a harness though and has feline friends he’s on nose-booping terms with, which is fine.

Have a look on the CatChat website.

Allergictoironing Tue 03-Oct-17 19:10:04

Would your house allow for you to have an indoor cat? There's often a few in rescues that can't go out e.g. FIV positive. Another possibility is looking into cat proofing your garden then making sure they can only get out at the back of the house.

Allergictoironing Tue 03-Oct-17 19:10:28

Hah x-post!

AllTheWittyNamesAreGone Tue 03-Oct-17 19:12:56

Indoor cat or a cat proof garden.

HaveYouSeenMyHat Tue 03-Oct-17 20:19:46

Thanks very much for the replies flowers 😺

Not sure we'd be able to keep a cat inside as the DC roam in and out of the garden freely when the weather is good.

It's probably wishful thinking that this could be possible.

thecatneuterer Wed 04-Oct-17 19:27:18

If you can't keep it indoors then either cat proof your garden with protectapuss or similar, or don't do it at all.

MsMims Wed 04-Oct-17 19:56:24

Would you consider a dog instead?

Unless you're willing to cat proof the garden and make sure windows at the front of the house aren't opened wide enough for a cat to escape, I wouldn't have another. Don't think it's ethical for the cat to be condemned to a short life. Also would be crueller for the children to experience a pet only to lose it suddenly. Although empathise with the dilemma as a friends DS who has autism has a lovely relationship with one of our cats!

So yes, perhaps a cat that's restricted to your property only and it does require discipline i.e. not forgetting to shut the front door etc. Maybe too difficult with the DC at the age they are?

ToddlersAndCoffee Thu 05-Oct-17 10:32:35

I have two cats and two young dc. A ragdoll and a Siamese x, both are indoor ONLY I live near a busy road and there's no way I could let them out. I know if the ragdoll got out into the garden she's wouldn't be able to actually leave as she can't jump (very stubby legs haha!) But the Siamese could. It's an nightmare with keeping then in when kids want to go in the garden so we got a metal cattery in the garden. When I know the kids are going to be in and out all day I just put them in there. Also, I'm putting cupboard locks on the windows so they cab be opened but not enough for cats to get out. It's hard and takes alot of getting used too but I wouldn't be without my cats and wouldn't want to run a risk of them getting hurt!

ToddlersAndCoffee Thu 05-Oct-17 10:33:35

Sorry about all the typos! blush

Polter Thu 05-Oct-17 11:15:57

We front a road, so the rescue suggested cats who had road experience only, And it's been fine, PolterCat doesn't go near the front, but has acres of countryside behind us.

Tinty Thu 05-Oct-17 12:56:28

We built this cat house when we lost DCat. We were so upset we decided not to let them out anymore but they love being outside so we compromised with Cat Shed (as we call it) and they love it. So do the birds because DCat's can't get them. Both DCat's stand meowing at the back door until we carry them out into the cat shed. They love it in there when it is warm and sunny and one of them even likes it now it is colder. We have a bolt high up about 4 ft on the outside, so you could build one and have a high bolt so the children can't let them out. Also DD likes to go in and play with the cats in there! grin

Tinty Thu 05-Oct-17 13:01:45

The first picture was when we had just built it and put in the kennel and DCat wanted a look at what we were doing! Then we put in some high shelving and an old bench seat cushion. There is a cat bed and bowl of water kept in the kennel. You will also need to invest in a litter tray in your house. But our DCat's don't have one in the cat shed. They just make a beeline for the tray if they have been in the cat shed for a couple of hours. We only let them in it when we are home, in the daytime when we are at work they stay in the house.

Tinty Thu 05-Oct-17 13:03:28

It is about 8 ft high and 10 ft long and 4 ft wide. This could maybe be an idea if you have room in your garden. DP built it smile.

HaveYouSeenMyHat Thu 05-Oct-17 19:25:14

Thanks very much for all the comments.

cluelessnewmum Fri 06-Oct-17 23:04:50

I like your enclosure tinty I wish my dh could build something like that! I have indoor cats that I let out on leads every day but I think they'd prefer something like this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now