Talk

Advanced search

Giving medication to strays?

(6 Posts)
DanHumphreyIsA Mon 02-Oct-17 17:41:03

My nan feeds a couple of strays. I'm currently catsitting her own cat, and have been to put some food out for the strays.

One has weepy, gunky eyes and sounds a little bit like he has a stuffy nose. It's unlikely that we'd manage to get him to the vets.
I'm wondering if vets would give out meds (assuming for cat flu) without seeing the cat? If not is there anything I can buy OTT?

One of my own cats has ongoing eye drops, so I'd be ok administering them to Stray, but it'd be difficult to do it regularly as he's not always there when I am plus he'll run off if get too close anyway.

If oral medication is available, would it have any effects on cats without symptoms, incase another came along and ate it?

While I'm here.. I also have the same question for flea treatment. I think its safe to assume he has fleas, so would I be ok to just buy some from Pets at Home and somehow administer it? (If anyone knows of any oral flea treatment, that would be helpful, and easier, for me as well!)

thecatneuterer Mon 02-Oct-17 19:10:22

We would give you treatment for strays we haven't seen, but then we're a rescue centre. I'm not sure a 'normal' vets would. It's certainly worth asking the question of any vets around.

There is nothing you could buy over the counter that would help.

There is an oral flea stuff that I've just forgotten the name of, but I'm not totally sure it still exists. Otherwise yes, you could get Advantage from Pets at Home/a chemist. Don't use anything else though as other stuff doesn't work and can be dangerous.

Are they both boys? I'm guessing they will need neutering too. Are they friendly enough to get into a carrier if necessary?

DanHumphreyIsA Mon 02-Oct-17 19:51:31

@thecatneuterer The poorly one is a male, the other I've not managed to get a good look, he runs off when we're at the window.

Poorly is okay to approach, but any sudden movements and he's off. He's also wary of any boxes/beds we've put out, even with food so a carrier is out of the question for now atleast. Maybe a feral trap thing could work later on, once he doesn't seem so scared of enclosed spaces.

Thanks I'll try our vets first, and maybe CP if vets say no?

thecatneuterer Mon 02-Oct-17 20:27:05

All cats go in traps. Even the most feral/nervous. They just need to be hungry enough. So yes, that sounds like a plan.

LivingInMidnight Thu 05-Oct-17 20:25:19

There's an oral version of program, although I'm not sure how effective it is. Program doesn't kill fleas, it just makes them infertile if I remember right.

EachandEveryone Thu 05-Oct-17 20:50:44

Watching with interest as I'm still feeding mummy cat and would like to deflea her somehow

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now