Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Kitten training - tables/kitchen surfaces

(19 Posts)
CatLadyInTraining Tue 26-Sep-17 20:18:00

Does anyone have any tips on how to train a kitten not to go on the kitchen counter or dinner table? Repeatedly saying no and removing her from there is having no effect. Aside from the hygiene issues I am worried she will end up burning herself.

TroysMammy Tue 26-Sep-17 20:34:38

"DOWN" and reinforce with a water pistol or plant spray on the jet. "No" can be used for lots of things but down is an action which they seem to understand a bit better.

DOLLYDAYDREAMER Tue 26-Sep-17 20:58:52

we always say OFF with a purpose coupled with throwing a small cushion at them. now we only have to pick up cushion and they get the message

SweetChickadee Tue 26-Sep-17 21:02:34

we used one of those air can duster sprays for cleaning computers - they hate the noise. you only have to squirt in their general direction and no one gets hurt grin

and now we just have to shake it

of course, when you're not in the room all bets are off....

EachandEveryone Tue 26-Sep-17 21:06:15

I imagine they run up and down all night long

Weedsnseeds1 Tue 26-Sep-17 21:09:35

Current cat waits politely on the floor in sphinx position to be invited on to furniture.
Previous cats knew enough to not trample on work surfaces if I was watching but helped themselves to furniture and probably romped over work surfaces with gay abandon when my back was turned!
Current cat is the only truly trainable cat I have had, although he's one step ahead most of the time. I taught him to sit for a treat, when I get home he now grabs the packet of treats, dumps them on the floor, slams his backside down and stares at me.....

Grumpyoldpersonwithcats Tue 26-Sep-17 21:16:19

Our cats do what they like when we are looking. God only knows what they do when we aren't. grin

follybodger Tue 26-Sep-17 22:14:33

I've had cats for about 35 years and when I've caught new arrivals on the worktop I've picked them up and gone in my deepest voice bad girl. Put them on the floor and done a happy good girl. Picked them up put on work surface and repeat bad girl and back to floor of good girl. They've soon all got what's allowed and what's not with a few days of that repetition.

That was until the floofs arrived back in May, 3 kittens forming the whole of a litter. Little buggers they are and flatly refuse to obey. 😡

Toddlerteaplease Wed 27-Sep-17 14:18:41

Mine have never been in the worktop. They have really stubby legs and can’t jump that high. grin

scurryfunge Wed 27-Sep-17 14:21:38

My dog polices the cat. If she jumps up the dog races through to the kitchen and barks until she gets down.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 28-Sep-17 15:28:00

I gave up, he can give me the fuck you mommy look more often than I can say bad cat get down.

He wants it more & I have to respect that.

CatLadyInTraining Fri 29-Sep-17 13:46:14

Hmm... not sure getting a dog to discipline the cat is a viable plan for us....
Will try cushions or duster spray. Those of you who succeeded - how long did it take to train?

5rivers7hills Fri 29-Sep-17 15:31:58

@Toddlerteaplease same I don't think my BSH can jump up to the worktop!?

Mulch Fri 29-Sep-17 15:35:03

That's fantastic scurryfudge I've accepted that cat will go where she pleases but oh doesn't. Would love a dog but hes vetoed it.

YetAnotherSpartacus Sat 30-Sep-17 14:34:20

The dog sounds like a tattletale.

thecatneuterer Sat 30-Sep-17 15:38:57

Another excuse to post Cozie's favourite photo smile

I am an expert in this field as you can see. Mine wouldn't dream of going on the worktops grin

RonSwansonsMoustache Sat 30-Sep-17 15:46:32

Pretty sure they’ll do whatever they want when you’re not around, however well “trained” you think they are!

My old cats weren’t allowed on the work surfaces. Everyday when I got home from work, I heard a “thump” as they both jumped down from said work surfaces 😂

QuirkyGoose Sat 30-Sep-17 15:50:20

Packets of anti bac wipes, wipe surfaces before you use them. Telling off hasn't worked for us but our lovely cat is v dim

Jux Sat 30-Sep-17 16:24:57

It can take a while, and they'll still do it when they think you won't see. We have a 'kitten' (she's 4 now) who will look a bit guilty when she's caught, the other two are merely indignant!

Just accept that she'll do it and wipe down before you start as well as when you've finished.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now