Talk

Advanced search

Premium cat food recommendations

(29 Posts)
Thekitten Fri 22-Sep-17 12:42:28

Hello, I wondered if anyone had any premium adult cat food recommendations. My cat is eating little amounts but turning her nose up at everything from the supermarket except Sheba at the moment. This is fine but you don't get very much in a pouch.

I've tried her on Lily's kitchen previously, but she lost interest D:

If you feed your baby premium cat food, what do you recommend in terms of cats eating it and value for money?

Thanks in advance!

Mol1628 Fri 22-Sep-17 12:44:15

Mine liked the james well beloved grain free dry food with applaws tins a few times a week as a treat.

The applaws dry food made them sick for some reason.

Briette Sat 23-Sep-17 01:25:46

Send Thrive an email and ask them to send you samples. Mine both love it!

They hated Hi Life wet at first but suddenly started liking it right as I began to wonder whether I would have to throw the rest of the box away. They only take the chicken one, though. Only one of my two will touch Lily's Kitchen at all.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sat 23-Sep-17 06:42:07

Mine likes Natures Menu, the standard and the Country Versions. Only one flavour of each though! He doesn't mind Meowing Heads and he also likes Hi Life Tuna. They've discontinued the one he likes though so I've had to stock up.

He's only allowed biscuits as a treat and they have to be James Wellbeloved fish flavour.

Some people have said he's fussy but I prefer the vet's description - he's particular!

Badgerlady Sat 23-Sep-17 06:53:41

We use science plan for our dcats. Never had any issues with it. They eat everything that is put in front of them.

They did once have a cheaper brand of food that my dsis bought as a treat which caused some very upset stomachs.

It's not cheap, but I tend to wait until pets at home has an offer and stock up then. Plus I have a VIP card which sends vouchers for money off.

DoraChance Sat 23-Sep-17 06:56:20

Mine like the Purina in the blue tins, can’t remember the exact name. In an economy drive I switched them to cheaper food recently, and then went back to the blue tins for a treat. They fell on it like they hadn’t been fed for weeks and made me feel very guilty. They only like the chicken or turkey flavour though.

EnormousDormouse Sat 23-Sep-17 06:58:16

Mine will eat Orijen dry high-protein stuff most of the time. Given the choice they would woof down Go-cat, and whiskas pouches. No class, my cats.

DumbledoresApprentice Sat 23-Sep-17 07:00:52

Natures Menu Country Hunter. It's pricy but I feel like it's not bad value as the pouches are essentially pure meat with jut the smallest bit of jelly on top.
Tesco finest pouches, especially the sardine one go down well too.
There are also little cans of premium Waitrose food that she loves.
She went off Lily's kitchen but loved it for a while.

Fiona1984 Sat 23-Sep-17 07:12:36

Mine has hills vet plan (c/d) wet food because he has had urinary issues. The first time I gave him it, he left it for a good half hour, but it was gone when I came back. Normally he'll eat anything. He was on cheap Lidl biscuits and Whiskas, but I think that's what caused the bladder stones. The minerals in them are too high.
I've just switched him to Hills Science plan biscuits (from Royal Canin urinary care ones) He has wet and dry, I can't afford to feed him the wet food exclusively, at £15 for 24 pouches, he just gets one a day.
He loves the science plan biscuits, and his black fur is very soft and shiny.

lollipop7 Sat 23-Sep-17 10:15:43

Royal Canin wet and dry cat food is very high quality. Their breed specific dry food made an exceptional difference to my BSH coats and overall vitality.

Encore and Applaws tins of wet food always go down a treat with my three too.

Poppyfields21 Sat 23-Sep-17 10:22:42

Purely from Pets at Home is okay. Cats love the applaws pouches but they're tiny and cost a fortune so those are only for treats!

Poppyfields21 Sat 23-Sep-17 10:23:29

Oh and to second PPs my cats would eat whiskas all day every day if it was up to them!

Madbengalmum Sat 23-Sep-17 10:25:02

Orijen is about the highest quality out there.

tinytemper66 Sat 23-Sep-17 10:27:44

Mine will only eat the expensive small sachet ones! The kitten will eat anything including stealing the adult cat's food! Lots of spats at the moment! 🐱

Hulder Sat 23-Sep-17 10:34:52

Zooplus is fab for premium cat food at lower prices.

Kittens are currently hoovering up Feringa both wet and dry - all grain-free, and far less than the price of Lily's Kitchen.

We gave them Nature's Menu pouches once when we had run out and they were distinctly unimpressed - as were we! V expensive and basically paying for jelly when the Feringa was all meat.

Zooplus has a lot of different European brands to try and their customer service is great - just make sure you have DFD and not Yodel for delivery.

Kittens and adult cat are also hooked on Cosmas Snackies which are a lot cheaper than Thrive treats.

dementedpixie Sat 23-Sep-17 10:39:29

I have never ever had an issue with yodel and they deliver most of my stuff from zooplus and bitiba. Mine went off feringa and other good foods I tried from zooplus. They now eat Sheba fine flakes/ select slices and gourmet perle.

dementedpixie Sat 23-Sep-17 10:40:25

and alongside the wet food they eat AVA dry food from pets at home

Hulder Sat 23-Sep-17 10:43:59

We found Yodel so awful I stopped using Zooplus. Went back, made the Yodel mistake again - just as bad. Salvaged by how helpful Zooplus customer service are.

DFD much much better.

Maybe we are unlucky.

dementedpixie Sat 23-Sep-17 10:50:38

yodel is great where i am and I know the wee delivery guy now as it seems to be the same one that does our route (i get my cat litter online)

dementedpixie Sat 23-Sep-17 10:50:57

Do you mean DPD?

Trollspoopglitter Sat 23-Sep-17 10:57:09

I second zooplus, who always deliver my order via DPD. I think they did yodel initially, but so many complained that they then offered a .50 surcharge for dpd delivery and these days it's free (I do a stock up order) Fantastic prices. Cheaper than the supermarkets. Also great for Feliway (was almost half the price of our high street pet shop) and kitty litter.

Our cats love the Almo Nature sensitive wet food. Bozita is an excellent quality but cheaper food out of Sweden that comes in lovely paper box cartons.

They also have incredible cat tree posts from a German manufacturer that are solid wood base with washable hammocks. We got ours 8 years back on sale and it's still going strong. May need to order a replacement sisal post for one part of it soon.

LivingInMidnight Sat 23-Sep-17 13:55:14

Yes zooplus is great. I love the loyalty scheme too.

Thrive wet went down well for a while.

Thekitten Sat 23-Sep-17 14:11:50

Thank you everyone for your recommendations! I'm going to pets at home today so will see what they have, then off to Zooplus if she likes any of it!
I think she would eat whiskas all the time too, but it gives her the runs D:

I did have a look at hi-life but so much was discontinued on their website I gave up sad it's annoying how so many good ones come in tiny packets, it's just not cost effective.
Thanks again!

Fiona1984 Sun 24-Sep-17 09:07:52

I order from zooplus, I joined the savings scheme. For a couple of pounds a year I save 3% on every order. I also order through the TopCashback website so I get money back that way too.

Trollspoopglitter Sun 24-Sep-17 09:12:26

Pets at home won't have a lot of the stuff on zooplus. If she's got a sensitive tummy, there also specialty food available. Ive bought some that they've refused to eat but they do gobble up this one

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: