Talk

Advanced search

Pet clippers

(8 Posts)
feministrat Tue 19-Sep-17 12:38:21

We have an 8 year-old Maine Coon cross, and he's gorgeous and good-tempered... but appears to have stopped carefully grooming himself. I brush him as regularly as I can, but his fur is absolutely matted in places.

I took him to the vets last week, who clipped out one side of his body (down to the skin in places), but his clippers overheated before he could do the other side and his tummy. Despite my cat being good as gold, he suggested doing the tummy under anaesthetic whilst he went into have his teeth cleaned - and quoted the best part of £300!

The vet said that larger, older male cats very often are careless in their grooming and there's not much we can do about it.

Because the cat is so good natured, I'd be willing to clip him at home. Has anyone got any recommendations for reasonably priced, quiet clippers (doesn't need to be designed for pets, so long as they do the job) that they would recommend using?

Weedsnseeds1 Thu 21-Sep-17 20:47:20

I used to clip my old girl. I'm away for work at the moment but will have a look and see what brand they are when I get home.

feministrat Fri 22-Sep-17 11:17:12

Thank you. I actually bought some today so will let you know how I get on.

HappenstanceMarmite Sat 23-Sep-17 21:18:28

How did it go feministrat?

Weedsnseeds1 Sun 24-Sep-17 21:09:17

Wahl. They are Wahl clippers.

feministrat Fri 29-Sep-17 13:22:23

Not having a huge amount of success. I have tried some Wahl clippers, plus the ones I bought, and the problem is that the cat's fur is so thick and matted, that the clippers simply don't cut through the fur. Nail scissors will do it, but it makes me nervous so close to his skin.

I think the clippers I've tried so far are designed for trimming fur/hair rather than removing large knots of matted fur. The quest continues.

Weedsnseeds1 Fri 29-Sep-17 15:12:46

I used them with no attachments and sort of "nibbled" away at the underneath of the mats until the whole thing lifted off.
She did look a bit like the sheepdog from the Specsavers advert at the end of it, though!

5rivers7hills Fri 29-Sep-17 15:23:11

Have you seen photo of Obie after his lion cut on here - so cute!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: