Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

How do you brush a cat's teeth?

(31 Posts)
ISaySteadyOn Sun 20-Aug-17 20:43:21

You're supposed to, but how do you do it and do you need a special toothpaste?

GeillisTheWitch Sun 20-Aug-17 20:44:33

You're supposed to? I've never done it, I'd probably lose a finger if I tried it with my tortie, de fleaing is bad enough.

LaChatte Sun 20-Aug-17 20:45:09

Reinforced armour?

Mrscropley Sun 20-Aug-17 20:45:33

Special tooth brush and coat of arms. .

Polter Sun 20-Aug-17 20:52:07

grin

ememem84 Sun 20-Aug-17 20:53:59

Have a surgeon on hand to reattach your arm.

There is no way I'd even attempt to brush catface teeth. I do not have a death wish.

Ollivander84 Sun 20-Aug-17 20:54:55

Give money to the vet to do it. Or ask someone who you don't like

PaperdollCartoon Sun 20-Aug-17 20:55:52

I've never done it. Give them big kibble and the biting helps clean their teeth, or you can get chewy treats that do it.

AnneElliott Sun 20-Aug-17 21:08:59

I tried to but failed. Cats did not like it at all. And I only tried with the more tolerant onegrin

Sometimes I think bets don't have cats themselves. Like the time my one gave tolerant cat a nebuliser and inhaler. Told me I had to hold it over her mouth for about 10-15 breaths.

Cat thought I was trying to murder her. We just accept she's got asthma and don't try to medicate her.

mirren3 Sun 20-Aug-17 21:17:46

I was coming on to say carefully, very very carefully but the suit of armour probably sums it up nicely 🐺🚫

ShatnersBassoon Sun 20-Aug-17 21:23:48

I once had to bath a cat. Five sharp ends to monitor, all working independently of each other.

Trying to control the sharp bits with one hand while putting something unwanted in the bitey sharp bit... No thanks.

SnowiestMountain Sun 20-Aug-17 21:25:12

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

bonzo77 Sun 20-Aug-17 21:27:44

You don't. I had one cat that frankly was odd and let me do stuff like this, and cutting and painting his claws, and occasionally bathing him. But generally only on dead or anaesthetised ones.

HotelEuphoria Sun 20-Aug-17 21:31:39

Get whoever cleans their teeth in the wild to do it.

In other words, don't bother, let them hunt and feed mainly a dry diet, get the vet to check them every year when they have their boosters.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 20-Aug-17 21:31:40

You can get enzyme toothpaste and let them lick it off a paw.

Mine thinks I'm trying to murder him if I move suddenly so I can't see teeth cleaning being popular.

Flea controls bad enough, he's convinced I'm about to do something awful to him.

Vinorosso74 Sun 20-Aug-17 21:33:15

You don't or you get a bet to do it under anaesthetic!
Vinocat is coming up 15 and last had her teeth cleaned nearly 9 years ago (just before we adopted her) and any new vet she sees remark on what good teeth she has (shame other things aren't in such good working order).

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sun 20-Aug-17 21:35:52

I blobbed the paste on my cat's nose so he has to lick it off. It's liver flavored so he likes it. Then progressed from there.

Want2beme Sun 20-Aug-17 21:48:23

You don't! A vet I used to go to suggested I do this - I laughed in her face.

tinytemper66 Sun 20-Aug-17 22:00:07

Gellis we have a tortoiseshell cat who is not particularly loving shall we say! Is it a characteristic of them or just one of those things?

Allergictoironing Sun 20-Aug-17 22:11:54

Taken me all this time to just be able to clip claws without hysteria & sulking for days after. My two are incredibly gentle and haven't (so far) ever scratched me with intent, but I'm not going to let them realise that fingers can be chomped on anyway.

Toddlerteaplease Sun 20-Aug-17 22:15:25

Got given a cat toothbrush and toothpaste once as a free sample and I did used to clean our late cat's teeth. He was a teenager at the time. He was very good about it and tolerated it no problem. I stopped then the one was empty. Don't think I'd dare try it with my two even though they are very gentle.

Toddlerteaplease Sun 20-Aug-17 22:16:32

Tube*

ilovechocolates Sun 20-Aug-17 22:17:04

Kinda reminds me of this:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC372253/

SplodgeBear1988 Sun 20-Aug-17 22:40:27

We have a special clear toothpaste that doesn't have to be brushed, the cats licking action works. I just put it on my finger and they lick it off, similar to the fur ball paste.

YesItsMeIDontCare Sun 20-Aug-17 22:44:35

I wipe Leroy's toothpaste on his paw. As he licks it off it gets slooshed around in his furry chops and gets at the plaque. It's not perfect, but it's a start.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now