Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To get one kitten or two

(14 Posts)
user12945938 Sun 20-Aug-17 14:13:15

We have been thinking about getting cat/kitten for some while now and registered with local re-homing places. We have found a lovely kitten that would suit our family but I was worried it would be lonely as I work 3 days week. There is someone who can come in in the day, and DS is back from school by 4pm. So started considering two kittens. They have one remaining from the same litter however it is really quite nervous and I worry with younger DS who is noisy it would not be right home. Rescue place say she will be fine and will settle, and guess she will follow lead from more confident one. I'm thinking I only really want one though, but feel guilty about it being left on own...... help!

HirplesWithHaggis Sun 20-Aug-17 14:27:09

I would always get two kittens (and did, just a few weeks ago!) They play together, eat together, and sleep together. They have quite different personalities, and both vanished when an excited four year old came into the house, but they soon came out to play. grin

The amusement value of two far outweighs any downside, imho.

Hulder Sun 20-Aug-17 14:38:03

Two kittens is much better than one kitten.

Ours are currently on our bed playing with an envelope smile

As above, they sleep together, eat together, play together, look cute together and are far less needy than one. Much less trashing of the house and trashing of our hands as they find each others tails endlessly fascinating.

Still get masses of cuddles and playtime with us but they can also entertain themselves which is great because, frankly at times they are rather exhausting.

Also, and rather sadly, when they are older, you have a backup cat when one dies - it was heart-rending when tabbycat died but having her sister with us helped us get through each day. she doesn't think much of the kittens though

Fauxtatoes Sun 20-Aug-17 14:39:01

Two! Otherwise you'll be the 4am plaything!!

thecatneuterer Sun 20-Aug-17 14:40:43

Two - or how about the one remaining kitten and the mum?

Mrscropley Sun 20-Aug-17 14:45:21

If you hope to keep your home in its present condition then you need 2!!
Our 2 are 5 now and as close as ever!!

bananafanana1 Sun 20-Aug-17 14:54:06

I got two and they fought like cat and errr... cat. They hated each other. They were sisters from the same litter and I thought they'd be all cute and snuggle together. Nope. I gave one away when they were about 3 and they were like different cats. They love being the only cat now and so much happier.
Luck of the draw I suppose. hmm

Icequeen01 Sun 20-Aug-17 15:07:57

Another vote for two. I've always had kittens in pairs and never had a problem.

Oncewaswho Sun 20-Aug-17 15:12:46

Two but bear in mind double the expense for food, vet bills, flea treatments, insurance, catteries etc.

5rivers7hills Sun 20-Aug-17 17:50:51

I had two. They hated each other - was v stressful for them as adults living together. Luckily big house and big garden. They were siblings and were v cute together when kittens.

I've got one now, I haven't found it bad just having one kitten. Sure you have to provide more toys and play with them a lot more, but that was kinda the point of having a kitten TBH.

user12945938 Sun 20-Aug-17 20:54:17

I think my main concern now is re the second kitten that is really quite nervous compared to the other... rescue centre say she'll be fine once settled and am sure she will.... my youngest DC is v. noisy!

Hulder Sun 20-Aug-17 21:50:48

It's difficult to know from rescue centre what they will be like. My two were v nervous at rescue centre even by their standards and are now confident and bonkers. However first week they spent hiding behind a curtain and we did wonder what we had done.

Toddlerteaplease Sun 20-Aug-17 22:20:06

Seriously think about adult cats as well. Their personalities are better known, and they get overlooked in favour of cute little kittens.

Sweetnessishere Sun 20-Aug-17 22:28:57

We adopted 2 kittens although they were slightly older at 4 months. Having had 2 adult cats previously we too were concerned at only having 1 kitten.

They are great together although 1 is very timid. She hid in a box or beind the dishwasher at first and even now whilst she is attached to me and the rest of the family happily sleeping on our beds or laps and being picked up she still hides from any visitor.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now