Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Lack of affection/ avoidance. Should I be worried?

(18 Posts)
Alakazam7 Fri 07-Jul-17 09:31:00

My cat is 18 months old now and started off with being so cuddly as a kitten, used to carry him around all day (am a wheelchair user so this was easy) Recently (over the past few months) he has started to avoid sitting on my lap at all, he will deliberately go round me if I happen to be in his path. He still comes to me if I or he has been out and will still sit with me every evening but just leans on my shoulders and doesn't purr like he used to! He still sleeps on my bed at night. In the past couple of weeks he has even started to avoid being picked up by making it more difficult for me.
If he is just being a typical cat that's fine but just wondering if it's something I should get checked at the vet. I Hate to think of him being unhappy at all and he used to be so affectionate.

londonloves Fri 07-Jul-17 09:36:51

It might just be because it's so hot. My cat is much less cuddly when it's hot and doesn't sleep on the bed or come for cuddles hardly at all. He might be be in pain though possibly, can you get him to the vets for a check up? Is he eating ok?

Alakazam7 Fri 07-Jul-17 10:35:14

Yes he's eating ok and doesn't seem to be in pain, I could take him for a check up though. I'd hate to think of him suffering and I don't know. However he jumps around and plays normally which I guess he would do if it was pain?

Alakazam7 Fri 07-Jul-17 10:36:53

Good point about the heat though. He comes in more when it's raining although sometimes hides under the bed..

londonloves Fri 07-Jul-17 10:42:16

A vet once told me that the problem is they can't tell you if they're in pain. So maybe a check up is a good idea for your piece of mind.
The other thing is whether any other external things are going on that could be bothering him? Mine went really funny for a few weeks when there were builders next door and tramping through our (his!) garden! Took me ages to work out what was wrong!

Bitchfromhell Fri 07-Jul-17 10:47:21

My boy acted a bit odd from about early May to this week, similar to yours. A week in the Cattery last week whilst we were on holiday seems to have reminded him which side his bread is buttered. He couldn't be more friendly right now. He's also taken to sleeping in the empty suitcases grin
I'm sure it's just normal cat stuff but let the vet check him. We've had water infections and abscesses recently too.

Alakazam7 Fri 07-Jul-17 10:48:17

Thanks for that- my next door neighbour doesn't like cats and has recently put a cat scarer and wire mesh on the fence to keep him out. It could be that but don't know what I can do if it is!

Alakazam7 Fri 07-Jul-17 10:50:19

Maybe a vet check then a weekend away for me! Thanks for the replies- wish they could just tell you...

londonloves Fri 07-Jul-17 11:07:48

We just moved house and mine is being very weird. I think they're sensitive little souls!

Alakazam7 Fri 07-Jul-17 11:37:15

Yes probably. I just want him to be happy! I'd do anything for him to be more like the purry kitty he was. Could he be going through a teenage phase? Do cats do that? He is neutered if that makes any difference.

londonloves Fri 07-Jul-17 11:59:42

Mine went through a teenage phase of mass bird murder but that lasted about a year and he was still quite soppy. I think perhaps your Neighbour's actions have upset him, it might take him a while to adjust. Could you keep him in for a few days?

Alakazam7 Fri 07-Jul-17 12:22:39

I could but he loves going out and that might annoy him more. It's been a few weeks now but could have been about that time when it started.
That must have been difficult to handle all the bird killing!

londonloves Fri 07-Jul-17 12:37:00

His favourite thing was to bring them in half dead and then chill out ok the sofa watching me trying to catch them!

Alakazam7 Fri 07-Jul-17 12:49:38

Great! They love seeing people work. Dave used to chase foil balls and bring them back to me. Now he just chases them and waits for me to get them. If I don't he asks me until I throw them again!

Bitchfromhell Fri 07-Jul-17 13:48:59

You've probably found your culprit then. Wire mesh and a cat scarer would certainly do it. My girl cat recently stayed in for 3 days because I bought a new garden chair.
He'll have to get used to it, just know that for now it is all your fault and you need to pay wink

Alakazam7 Fri 07-Jul-17 18:54:43

They are so funny about changes Bfh. I'm swaying towards that being the cause. Funny how he's taking it out on me....booked an appointment to see the nurse at Vets on Wednesday so if he wasn't annoyed with me before he will be by then! (He has a small matt in his coat trousers so may be partly that too but we'll get rid of that at the same time) thanks everyone. Is curled up on my shoulder as I'm writing this but that's on his terms so it's ok!

Alakazam7 Sat 08-Jul-17 08:59:01

Just a little update. He came for his usual cuddly purry time this morning for the first time in a few weeks and last night climbed over me once, just to get somewhere but it's a start! No idea why this would happen now. Maybe he read the thread!!!

Bitchfromhell Sat 08-Jul-17 11:14:17

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now