Talk

Advanced search

Blood tests

(14 Posts)
PinkSparklyPussyCat Sat 01-Jul-17 13:26:37

Has anyone's cat had a blood test without being sedated? Harry has got to have regular tests to check his kidney function but all his previous ones were done under sedation. My friend's cat got so distressed that she was on the verge of a heart attack and I'm worried that it will distress Harry.

We've refused to allow him to be sedated again unless it's absolutely necessary so we'll then be faced with just having to let his kidney disease progress without having any tests. He's due a blood test in September and DH is going to take him (I'm needle phobic and can't watch so wouldn't be any use!) and will tell the vet to stop if he's distressed but I really am wondering how much more we can put him through.

Of course he could be fine and I could be worrying over nothing!

Toddlerteaplease Sat 01-Jul-17 16:32:03

Mine haven't, but If they ever need them again I'd rather it was done without sedation. They behave beautifully for the vet, so o doubt they'd need it.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sat 01-Jul-17 16:49:37

Harry is generally a good boy at the vets so I'm hoping he'll be ok. He was in such a state after the last sedation that I couldn't put him through if I didn't have to. At least DH is ok with needles so he can keep an eye on things!

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sat 01-Jul-17 16:50:55

I meant to say I can't imagine Fatty and Snorg being anything other than beautifully behaved!

starfish4 Sat 01-Jul-17 17:37:59

Hi Pink, sorry to hear about Harry.

My two have never been sedated for a blood test. Also, the two vets I've used have done the test without me being in the room, so you don't need to be present if you find it hard..

My girl gets very stressed and on one occasion they suggested they might need to do a partial sedation (luckily didn't need it) which I understand lasts for something like 15 breaths, so ask about that.

Vinorosso74 Sat 01-Jul-17 17:54:26

Vinocat is usually pretty good with bloods so has never been sedated. A nurse usually holds her whilst vet takes the blood. There is a cream or gel local anaesthetic they can put on the area beforehand.

Lonecatwithkitten Sat 01-Jul-17 19:25:11

The the vast majority of cats do not need sedation for blood tests. We take bloods from a large number of cats in my clinic we maybe need to sedate one cat every other month. These tend to be the cats my head nurse describes as becoming violent!

Vinorosso74 Sat 01-Jul-17 21:34:55

I've met some of those violent cats at CP I think (most are fine). According to one of the receptonists, Vinocat is our vet's star patient halo

Vinorosso74 Sat 01-Jul-17 21:35:24

Receptionists!

GRW Sat 01-Jul-17 21:57:18

My tortie girl was a challenge to get blood from. My vet used a zip up bag and sometimes an eye shield to restrain her, and always got blood easily from her leg which could be pulled out of the bag. It was over quickly and much better than using sedation.

Hulder Sat 01-Jul-17 22:03:11

Mine's never been offered sedation and she went through a phase of having loads.

She got better but if the vet doesn't get it first time she goes batshit. Also needs a very firm hold from a confident vet nurse and me - and vet says I hang on a lot firmer than a lot of owners in the face of a mental cat.

At this point she goes straight in the bag with the eye covering hat on as well. Much, much calmer that way and very quick.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sat 01-Jul-17 22:13:54

Thanks everyone. His notes actually say he's fractious, but I would disagree as he goes limp. I'm presuming it dates back to when they tried to put the cone of shame on him. Apparently they had to sedate him to get the line out of him after one of his jaw ops so that's what worries me.

DH wants to be in the room when it's done so he can say stop if Harry gets distressed so there's no point in me being there, the vet has to tell me when I can look when he has his injections! I refuse to stress him out any more than necessary so we're keeping our fingers crossed it goes well!

cat234 Tue 04-Jul-17 21:26:22

most cats are fine without sedation. with some of them you only really have one shot to try and get it, and after than they get too fidgety or difficult to hold. some are just wriggly, others can be down right vicious!

most vets find if better taking bloods without owners present - multiple reasons, from experience the vast, vast, majority of pets are better behaved and less stressed without owners present (they pick up on your stress). the nurse and vet have enough to focus on keeping the cat still, held properly to enable hitting the vein, and managing to get the vein without having an owner looking over their shoulder and either making the cat potentially jump, getting in the way, getting bitten etc. many owners also don't like seeing their pet 'restrained', this is done in an appropriate manner, just firm holding, nothing cruel, but owners disliking this actually makes it more risky for everyone - more likely for the vet or nurse to be bitten, and less likely to manage to get blood from the cat.

no vet (or nurse) would push the cat if they can't get blood from them - either just because its a bad vein day (!) or if the animal is distressed, but it is generally in the best interest of everyone,including the cat, to leave the vet alone to try and get a sample.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Tue 04-Jul-17 21:49:59

Thanks cat. I really do want DH to be there first time as, depending on how it goes, we may opt not to have any more blood tests and just let nature take its course. DH would be happy just to observe from the corner where Harry can't see him and say stop if necessary.

They couldn't take a line out of him without sedation so I've got my doubts whether they'll get blood!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now