Talk

Advanced search

Hypo-allergenic cats?

(8 Posts)
RolfNotRudolf Sat 01-Jul-17 09:04:29

Is there really such a thing as a hypo-allergenic cat? As a family we would love a cat, but I am allergic to them sad. Has anyone had experiences of not being allergic to certain cats? [hopeful emoticon]

DumbledoresApprentice Sat 01-Jul-17 09:12:47

Unfortunately not. Some cats and breeds are lower allergen but a truly hypoallergenic cat just doesn't exist.

Greypaw Sat 01-Jul-17 12:38:24

Myself and a few of my friends who are allergic to cats have all got on fine with Birmans. They don't have a short undercoat like most cats have, and that appears to be where most of the allergens lurk. So probably not hypo-allergenic, no, but certainly many non-allergic people don't have reactions to Birmans.

Greypaw Sat 01-Jul-17 12:38:47

allergic people*

IrritatedUser1960 Sat 01-Jul-17 12:41:26

devon Rex are supposed to be good for that.

IrritatedUser1960 Sat 01-Jul-17 12:41:57

They look like evil gremlins though.

RubbishMantra Sun 02-Jul-17 01:25:48

My little evil gremlin! grin

Devons aren't hypo-allergenic though, just less likely to set off allergies. What they are though is very bouncy, playful, intelligent and love company. They don't make good lone pets, they'll even buddy up with a dog if you have one.

A good breeder will encourage you to have a cuddling session with their cats to see if they cause an allergic reaction.

IrritatedUser1960 Sun 02-Jul-17 09:32:29

Very cute smile my friend has a pair and a dog and they are all the best of friends.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: