Talk

Advanced search

Un-training a cat?

(1 Post)
DailyMailReadersAreThick Fri 30-Jun-17 16:24:37

I adopted a 13-year-old cat last year. He's obviously been trained not to go on any furniture except a bed, because he just won't. Even if I lift him up and put him on the sofa or a chair, he jumps down right away.

He'll respond to pats or encouragement to come to me on the floor, or to jump on the bed, but not onto other furniture, so I'm sure this is training and not that he's finding it harder to jump as he gets older. In any case, my bed is higher than the sofa and chairs.

It makes me feel terrible when we're all sitting in the living room, the other cat curled up on the sofa, and Charlie's sitting on the floor in a corner! I know it probably doesn't bother him, but has anyone got ideas for un-training him?

Would it be too stressful or even cruel to try to change his conditioning at this age? Especially when it's more for me than him...

I probably just answered my own question, but if anyone has tips I'd be happy to hear them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: