Talk

Advanced search

Only eating the jelly..

(37 Posts)
gutsyoak Wed 21-Jun-17 18:43:40

Both cats only eat the jelly in the wet food, they always leave the chunks. They have dried food which they both nibble on. Just seems wasteful and wondered if anyone has any ideas to try.

Wolfiefan Wed 21-Jun-17 18:44:56

Mash it?
Change brands?

gutsyoak Wed 21-Jun-17 18:49:16

Have tried a few brands. Even when I mash it they manage to leave the tiny bits! Perhaps I need to liquidise it?!

PartyRat Wed 21-Jun-17 18:50:54

Our cat did the same with jelly foods but we bought some sachets with gravy instead and he loves them. I think the gravy keeps the bits slightly softer perhaps? Might be worth a shot! The whiskas creamy soups also go down very well with him!

Laska5772 Wed 21-Jun-17 18:51:16

so does mine if I dont mash it well. am convinced its sugary but am not trying it to see!

blankface Wed 21-Jun-17 18:54:28

If they prefer the dry food and also like jelly, try adding 2 or 3cm of water to the baking tin before roasting a chicken with no added onion or garlic or citrus.

Save the juices, pour into a beaker, cool then refrigerate. When cold, scrape the layer of fat off the top and then treat the cats to a few spoons of your "free" homemade jelly.

Wattyyyy Wed 21-Jun-17 18:57:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ski37 Wed 21-Jun-17 19:39:09

My cat did this when he was in the rescue centre. Since I've had him he has been on dry food only but is very good at drinking from his water bowl. He isn't particularly food orientated and comes back repeatedly to 'snack' throughout the day. I discussed this with the vet and she said dry food only is fine, in fact some vets recommend it. I spent ages reading on line trying to find evidence as to which is best and there are so many different opinions! I've decided that as long as my cat is happy and healthy eating only dry food that is what I'll stick to.

TonicAndTonic Wed 21-Jun-17 19:43:21

Mine does this with both jelly and gravy. I switched to pate-style wet foods which only have a single texture throughout.

Shylo Wed 21-Jun-17 19:45:41

My cats won't eat jelly, but will lick the sauce off the gravy ones most of the time

I've got no advice to fix it though - I simply switched Aldi's cat meat which they eat more often than they ate whiskas before and I console myself it's less wasted money when they don't :/

caffeinestream Wed 21-Jun-17 21:23:10

What brand are you feeding them? Neither of mine will touch the food in jelly - we recently switched them to Applaws which looks just like shredded meat/fish in a tin, plus grain-free biscuits and they both WOLF them down every meal time. The bowls are practically licked clean!

gutsyoak Wed 21-Jun-17 21:34:48

We are feeding them whiskas and Waitrose essential range. The cheapest I think, perhaps that is the problem. I will have a try if the odour one and the applaws. Thanks for the advice.

gutsyoak Wed 21-Jun-17 21:35:17

Soup not odour hmm

gutsyoak Wed 21-Jun-17 21:36:23

I'd like to do dry food only but not sure the cats would be happy. They meow at me like crazy for the jelly, only the jelly of course!

caffeinestream Wed 21-Jun-17 21:40:56

Not sure if you can get Applaws in many shops - we order ours online. It's pricier than the supermarket brands but it's really high quality, grain-free food.

Jellybean85 Wed 21-Jun-17 21:41:45

Mine used to do this and the vet suggested I was allowing him to become spoiled by cleaning it up and putting fresh down later. Basically I stood firm for a few days and just left it, he meowed, i ignored it.
He just ended up eating the meat too when forced to. That was ages ago now he doesn't do it; just eats the lot straight off. Worse than bloody kids 😂

NoSquirrels Thu 22-Jun-17 00:21:29

We fed Old Boy on Whiskas pouches or Felix twice a day, with dry food down to free feed.

We currently feed 2 younger cats twice a day on premium dry food (no free feeding). Cat 1 has Applaws, Cat 2 has a weight loss Dr Hills. Every now & then I feed them wet or raw meat depending, but very infrequently e.g once a week perhaps.

All the cats have adapted and thrived. Old Boy used to only lick the jelly/gravy & ignore the chunks - but that was a sign of age we thought. But could have been cos it was shit quality! Younger 2 cats have great coats etc so I wouldn't feed them supermarket stuff now if I can afford better...

Weedsnseeds1 Thu 22-Jun-17 13:57:25

I think it's quite a common problem. Maybe try a pate style food?

EwanWhosearmy Thu 22-Jun-17 14:06:10

Ours tend to do this. They won't eat the patent style food at all. They like gravy but I find loads of it seems to stick in the packet.

At the moment they will only eat Sheba or the As Good As It Looks range. I thought they were supposed to have limited taste buds?

EwanWhosearmy Thu 22-Jun-17 14:06:56

Stupid phone. Pate not patent.

EachandEveryone Thu 22-Jun-17 15:22:34

Is Sheba one of the better ones? Mine will eat all of the Sheba in gravy

DollyParsnip Thu 22-Jun-17 15:30:45

Ours did this with Whiskas - we feed Purina One dry then Felix As Good As It Looks, which they love. The meat is more flaked and mixed in with the jelly more so I don't think it's such a contrast. They also get the Felix Sensations as a treat as they have crunchy bits that go on top, on this heat it seems to encourage them to eat.

We have tried pretty much all the freely available brands but they don't seem to like them so we always go back to Felix, despite me having reservations about it. At least they're a reasonably cheap date!

troodiedoo Thu 22-Jun-17 15:36:22

Mine do this! The creamy soups went down a treat but too pricey for everyday. Can confirm they will eat the chunks eventually but you need iron will not to cave grin

SleightOfHand Thu 22-Jun-17 15:38:35

Mine does this too. If I do half a sachet at a time, he seems to eat more of the chunks than if I'd put the whole sachet on the plate.

troodiedoo Thu 22-Jun-17 15:42:53

Maybe the brands will read this thread and start making pouches of just jelly smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now