Talk

Advanced search

Weaning cat off litter tray

(11 Posts)
PunkrockerGirl Tue 20-Jun-17 20:18:13

Asking for advice. Got a beautiful little 1year old rescue cat a few weeks ago. He's settled in beautifully after a nervous start. He loves being outside (desperate to get out) but always comes in to use the litter tray. I've tried sprinkling his used litter outside and also putting earth on the litter tray inside to no avail!
For background, he was found in a shed by builders and taken to the rescue shelter where we eventually got him from.
Any advice gratefully received.

PunkrockerGirl Wed 21-Jun-17 12:53:02

Anyone?

caffeinestream Wed 21-Jun-17 13:46:25

Not all cats are happy to go outside. If he feels threatened or if there's a bigger/bully cat outside, he'll feel much more secure going indoors.

Any reason why you're desperate to get rid of the litter tray?

Wolfiefan Wed 21-Jun-17 13:58:30

Keep the tray. You will need one anyway for when you shut him in at night!

Dominithecat Wed 21-Jun-17 14:09:21

I still have two litter trays out for my cat who has been with me two years now. They are rarely used, I think once through the entire winter, but prefer him to use tray than carpet/bed/random box, If he has to go and can't get out. Just don't rush it especially with a rescue, who maybe needs the security of knowing where he can go at anytime

Ecclesiastes Wed 21-Jun-17 14:15:25

Keep the tray. It's not something you should 'wean him off'. It's a basic piece of kit that you will need as long as you have a cat. Access to a clean litter tray is like access to food, water and shelter.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Wed 21-Jun-17 14:35:37

I agree with the other posters, a tray is essential. I've never got rid of mine as we keep him in at night and there's no way I'd expect him to hold it in all night!

jmscp2015 Wed 21-Jun-17 14:42:44

Even if he went outside - you should never take the tray away, as others have said.

BangkokBlues Wed 21-Jun-17 14:48:19

Yup keep the tray - good quality litter doesn't smell and actually I think it is preferable to scoop the poop twice a day than to have them shitting in your or your neighbors flower beds.

Wh0Kn0wsWhereTheTimeGoes Wed 21-Jun-17 15:01:42

Yes, we will always have trays for ours, partly for night time use, partly to discourage shit in neighbour's gardens (may not be a problem if you live in the middle of nowhere) and the contents can be a good indicator of ill-health.

amymel2016 Wed 21-Jun-17 15:07:52

None of our cats have trays (except when first moving in), over a few weeks I kept moving it nearer the door until it was outside (just the other side of the cat flap), then moved it to some gravel we had in the back garden and then eventually got rid of it all together and they happily go outside now. However, we don't keep them in at night, they've got a flap which is open all the time and they come and go as they please.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now