Talk

Advanced search

Do cats get hay fever?

(11 Posts)
Toddlerteaplease Mon 19-Jun-17 06:30:19

Just wondering as Snorg is very congested sounding. She's always had issues with her tiny nose and in winter sounds terrible. She's not normally as bad in the summer. Will get her checked out for a chest infection but she's so well, and eating and drinking that I don't think she's 'poorly'. Was wondering if to give her a trial dose of loratadine to see if it helps. Apparently it's ok for cats. Is that a wise idea?

Toddlerteaplease Mon 19-Jun-17 06:32:30

Sorry forgot pictures of my gorgeous cuddle chops. ( had the best cuddle ever with her yesterday)

AwaywiththePixies27 Mon 19-Jun-17 06:35:38

I think they can. I'd check with a vet though before giving her anything.

On the school run I cross a lovely dogwalker who has collies. He was telling me only last week how their hayfever getting to them so don't see how cats can't get it too.

The pollen count is ridiculously high at the minute.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Mon 19-Jun-17 07:02:43

It wouldn't surprise me, Harry was snuffling a bit last night.

I hope she's ok and thanks for the picture, it cheered me up on a Monday morning!

BlahBlahBlahEtc Mon 19-Jun-17 07:14:54

Yeah they can, I had a cat that was a bad sufferer with hay fever. Take him to the vets to be sure but they recommended I give half an anti histamine to mine (but he was checked out first)

cherrylove Mon 19-Jun-17 07:19:06

Not sure about cats but my dog gets hay fever. The vet said to give an ordinary antihistamine tablet but I would check with your vet. Your cat is beautiful by the way.

YesItsMeIDontCare Mon 19-Jun-17 07:24:35

Leroy is reacting to something out there. Whether it's hay fever or just a reaction to one particular grass or pollen I don't know.

Weirdly I've got it a bit this year - I don't normally 🤷🏼‍♀️.

(Obligatory picture included just because.)

YesItsMeIDontCare Mon 19-Jun-17 07:26:52

Oh - I personally wouldn't give any medication without consulting the vet first.

Allergictoironing Mon 19-Jun-17 08:21:58

We had a HORSE that had hayfever! New batch of hay had recently arrived, went to do usual evening stables and she had a face like a hippo. Got the vet out, and he actually laughed when he told us she had hayfever. We had to swap a whole trailer of hay bales with a neighboring horse owner, and be careful of the type of hay she got after that.

Weedsnseeds1 Mon 19-Jun-17 08:25:02

I think they can have hay fever, toddler . When something makes my boy sneeze, he sounds exactly like one of those squeaky dog toys! Loudest sneeze I have ever heard from a cat. The first couple of times I wasn't sure what the noise was, as I didn't see him sneeze!

Toddlerteaplease Mon 19-Jun-17 14:56:19

Vet has seen her and happy she's not got a chest infection. She's given me some decongestant powder that she's had before and said she can have some piraton. Was chatting about the £10k vets bill her and her sister have run up this year and the vet said. "And your two get weird things that normal cats don't get" gringrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now