Talk

Advanced search

How can i make it easier on her?

(8 Posts)
AyeAyeFishyPie Thu 15-Jun-17 23:50:25

The next three months are going to be very disruptive for our cat. We are away for 3 weeks and DH's mother is having her. Then a month after that we are moving house. She is a very confident cat (read entitled) - we took her with us when we went to my MIL's last time so she could used to the smells and things. She was fine (and very much loved). But she hates the car. On the way there (an hours drive) she cried the whole time, salivated a shocking amount and was sick and pooed. On the way back we starved her for 12 hrs first, put a top of mine in her carrier and covered it with a towel. Still miaowing and lots of saliva but less frantic.and no bodily fluids. I tried zyklene on the outward journey. I have now got her carrier indoors with a pillow in it and she is in it happily.
Any tips on how to make the travel easier? She seems absolutely fine in new environments it's just the travel. Thanks in advance.

Want2beme Fri 16-Jun-17 10:59:14

It sounds like you're doing all the right things for her. I'm wondering if she travelled in the front seat it might be better? I say this because my niece travels badly in the back and always has to sit in the front. I know humans and cats are different, but you never know. She's obviously very stressed in the car. Would she be happier if you sat beside her and stroked her. My cat box has an opening at the top, so I can put my hand in to give reassuring stroke.

Toddlerteaplease Fri 16-Jun-17 11:52:32

Try covering the carrier with a blanket. My cats travel well but are much better covered up.

MsMims Fri 16-Jun-17 17:10:39

I hate doing this but have had to travel a couple of cats and find that they settle much easier on a lap. One has heart disease so can't afford to get stressed. The other little weirdo darling has a complete melt down in the carrier but purrs and goes all slow blinky giddy on a lap hmm

I know it's terrible and I really hate doing it but on the rare occasions it's necessary to do longer journeys the cats are much happier. They have a harness and lead on, and no windows or doors are opened until we've arrived and put them back in their carriers.

Papergirl1968 Fri 16-Jun-17 18:11:42

Yep, we let our boy loose as well and he settles where he wants. Not on a lap as he's not a lap cat anyway, but in the footwell or lying in the handbrake between the two front seats (not the most comfy position but seems to be a favourite).
Could you take him on a few shorter trips first, say ten mins or so?

Mermaidbutmytailfelloff Fri 16-Jun-17 18:22:54

please don't let the cat loose, what if he settled by the brake or distracted the driver in some way? Never mind the way he would be flung about in case of a collision. Please put him in a carrier for everyone's safety.

Papergirl1968 Fri 16-Jun-17 18:33:48

Not the driver's footwell, obviously...

AyeAyeFishyPie Sun 18-Jun-17 00:46:48

Thanks for your responses. I'd feel very unsafe letting her loose - what if she tried to go into the driver's footwell? Bit nervous of that. Also worried about any bodily functions on car seats. Might try carrier on lap though?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: