Talk

Advanced search

Any experts on cat breeds?

(13 Posts)
EastMidsMumOf1 Thu 08-Jun-17 19:26:57

I had a 3 month old stray come to me a few months ago, i have no real knowledge of cats as i dont buy from breeders because i believe there are already too many unwanted cats who need loving homes without more abandoned kittens on the streets. But can someone enlighten me to what breed my boy might be, ive read about russian blues but thats not normally the type of cat youd see as stray. His fur is very plush and thick compared to my domestic short hair.

GerundTheBehemoth Thu 08-Jun-17 19:29:46

I'm not an uber-expert but pedigree Russian blues wouldn't have any white bits. The blue coat colour isn't that rare in the moggy population - it's just black plus the dilute gene. He is bloody gorgeous though grin

Radishal Thu 08-Jun-17 19:38:11

Black cats of any breed are the last to be rehomed. This beauty is a gift that should have a long and happy life with any lucky adopter.
They are uber friendly and loving. That's the breed.

MsMims Thu 08-Jun-17 19:41:42

He's a moggy - absolutely nothing wrong with that smile

Very plush fur is common in grey cats too.

MrsJamin Thu 08-Jun-17 19:42:58

I don't think he's a breed but he's beautiful! Congrats.

Grumpyoldpersonwithcats Thu 08-Jun-17 20:18:19

My first cat about 35 years ago was a grey moggy who just turned up one day & adopted me (and looked similar to yours). I've never been without a grey since.
Feel honoured - grey cats are best shock. Current grey girl pictured.

ChestnutsRoastingOnAnOpenFire Thu 08-Jun-17 20:21:19

He has got lovely plush fur. Basically any cat without a breeding history is classed as a moggy. But they will have features of different breeds from over the years.

wisteriainbloom Thu 08-Jun-17 20:23:15

He looks quite special to me, very beautiful and exotic. There maybe is a mix of something unusual there.

Want2beme Thu 08-Jun-17 20:25:19

EastMidsMumOf1 he's a gem.

Grumpy, greys are so lovely. I had a grey boy who lived to 19 and he was the light life my life.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Thu 08-Jun-17 20:25:37

one of mine has a very plush coat....very thick and velvety, she is sort of silver tabby with white vest/paws

he looks lovely!

EastMidsMumOf1 Thu 08-Jun-17 20:44:57

Thanks for all your replies!
Grumpy - shes a beauty! Looks very similar to my boy especially with the facial features.
I have only ever had strays my first whos a black and white boy came around 6 months before my grey one so my experience with cats are very limited! In the area im in sadly there are many abandoned cats mainly black ones sad people either cant be arsed to get them spayed or breed for profit then fail to find buyers so theyre dumped.
Picture of both my boys x

ALeapOfFaith Thu 08-Jun-17 21:41:27

Ooh I could bury my face in that plush fur! I bet he feels just gorgeous!

LadyOfTheCanyon Fri 09-Jun-17 23:09:19

That tongue!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now