Talk

Advanced search

Lump on kittens back.

(13 Posts)
DeleteOrDecay Mon 05-Jun-17 10:51:46

My boy is 10 weeks old today and this morning I was giving him a fuss when I noticed a lump on his back, not directly on his spine but sort of to the left a little. It's maybe the size of a pea and doesn't seem to hurt him when I touch/poke it.

I am going to try and get him down to the vets if not today then definitely tomorrow but I'm so worried that it's cancer or something. He doesn't seem unwell, is very active, is eating and drinking and gaining weight (he was a little underweight when he got him 2 weeks ago). We all love him so much already and would be devastated if anything happened to him, especially my 4yo who is besotted with him.

I know we won't know anything for sure until we see the vet but else could it be?sad

HepKestrel Mon 05-Jun-17 10:55:57

my GrumpyOldCat has a couple of harmless lumps. they are just little pockets of fluid. These are quite common (people can get them too). Get you vet to take a look, but its probably fine.

Another possible cause is if he has been bitten by another cat then it could be an abcess. treatment is very easy (small cut + antibiotics).

Don't panic, and have a nice cup of tea brew. Its easy to think of worst case scenarios, but there are many simpler explanations.

Grumpyoldpersonwithcats Mon 05-Jun-17 11:15:00

Does the lump appear to be under the skin or on the surface? If above (and it looks white) it could simply be a tick?

DeleteOrDecay Mon 05-Jun-17 15:44:55

Thanks for the replies, you're right there could be a number of explanations. He's booked in to see the vet tomorrow afternoon. No chance of him being bitten by another cat unless it happened more than 2 weeks ago (as that was when we got him). A tick did cross my mind but from what I can tell the lump is under the skin.

Wolfiefan Mon 05-Jun-17 15:46:41

Very unlikely a kitten would have cancer I should think. Could be a bite from a cat sustained before you brought him home. My first thought was hernia but sounds totally the wrong place!

MsMims Mon 05-Jun-17 18:01:18

Is it in the vicinity of where he has been vaccinated?

WeirdAndPissedOff Mon 05-Jun-17 20:20:26

^ I've known a couple of kittens develop a lump at the vaccine site that went away shortly after.
Also, I presume he's not microchipped? You can sometimes feel the chip - feels a little like a grain of rice.

If he seems well in himself that's reassuring, in any case.

DeleteOrDecay Tue 06-Jun-17 15:50:48

Update - The vet said its either a fatty deposit or as a result of his first vaccinations. She wasn't concerned at all which is all we wanted to hear really.

Thanks everyone for all the help!

Wolfiefan Tue 06-Jun-17 15:52:17

Fantastic. Ah yes. Could be vaccination site. Worth noting. Could that mean reactions to future vaccinations? Not saying you shouldn't do them!!

DeleteOrDecay Tue 06-Jun-17 17:33:23

Yes definitely worth noting, I can't actually remember where his vaccination site was even though it was only a few weeks agoblush he's due another lot of them next week so I'll keep an eye out and won't worry myself so much if it comes up again!

RubbishMantra Tue 06-Jun-17 18:12:24

Happened to MCat once. His next booster was lump free.

iloveeverykindofcat Tue 06-Jun-17 18:25:57

I thought Bibi had a lump for ages. It was her microchip grin.

MsMims Wed 07-Jun-17 08:43:12

May be worth asking your vet to do the next vaccinations into the leg as per American protocol.

I now do this myself after experiencing an injection site sarcoma in one of our cats, and a nasty vaccine reaction in another. Between the shoulder blades is a horrible place to operate, by vaccinating into the leg you have the option of potentially removing the leg and achieving complete excision. Don't want to scare you and I'm sure your little cat will be fine, but it's also worth taking extra precautions if they're prone to bad reactions to the vaccine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now