Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Indoor cat has escaped.

(13 Posts)
Spuddington Sat 03-Jun-17 09:27:25

My 8 year old indoor cat escaped through an upstairs window last night. Recently moved house.

Spent all night searching but no sign. What the hell do I do next??

ifonly4 Sat 03-Jun-17 09:40:36

I suspect he won't have gone far, so personally I'd knock on all the neighbours doors a few either side, opposite and behind and ask them to look quietly in their gardens and leave your number. Also, phone the local vets and animal shelters, give them your phone number and they will phone you if a cat fitting his description comes in.

user1482079332 Sat 03-Jun-17 09:44:43

Maybe put some of his litter tray outside, he might recognise the smell

user1482079332 Sat 03-Jun-17 09:44:45

Maybe put some of his litter tray outside, he might recognise the smell

Imissmyfelinefriend Sat 03-Jun-17 09:50:33

I have a missing cat so I'm quite well read up on this.

Apparently indoor cats rarely move far. In fact, it's likely it could have slipped back in unnoticed so check all the usual hiding places. It may be feeling spooked after the experience so check everywhere, under beds, in cupboards etc.

Once you've established it definitely isn't indoors thoroughly comb the garden shaking treats.

After that, if no joy, go straight round to your neighbours and anyone with adjoining gardens. Speak to as many people as you can and make them aware. Show them pictures on your phone.

Then get back home and sit quietly in the garden. Talk in a soft voice to your cat. Shake treats. Chances are your cat is very near.

Rope in family and friends to go looking if your back doesn't reappear in 24 hours.

There are all sorts of tricks - scatter hoover bag, litter, put out smelly fish etc.

Best of luck. Come home soon kitty x

BrexitSucks Sat 03-Jun-17 10:09:16

How recently did you move house?
It can take only 3 days for a cat to establish a new territory. But 2 weeks with some. Unless your cat doesn't like your current home. Have you been in new home at least 2 weeks?

BrexitSucks Sat 03-Jun-17 10:09:53

ps: I ask all that b/c it makes the difference whether your cat plans to come back to what she thinks is her home territory, or might blank off trying to find her old home.

Toddlerteaplease Sat 03-Jun-17 10:51:12

Mine did that. She was out for 6 hours before I realised. And it took me an hour to find her. She had spent the day parked between my neighbours wheelie bins. Fortunately I knew she couldn't have gone far as she can't climb. Hope she turns up soon. It aged me by 20 years!

Spuddington Sat 03-Jun-17 10:56:10

We've been here two weeks.

Imissmyfelinefriend Sun 04-Jun-17 13:17:03

Is he back?

TroutySnouts Fri 09-Jun-17 16:35:44

Is the kitty back?

RubbishMantra Fri 09-Jun-17 23:17:03

Walking around at night shining a torch under cars - it reflects their eyes back - and other likely looking hiding places and rattling yourcat's favourite treats softly calling their name can help.

Have you moved far from your old home?

When you find your cat, (which will hopefully be soon) you can get catches for the windows, so they'll only open a few inches. Or you can get these. I use them on my upstairs windows, to prevent any 'leaps of faith'.

Hope you find your puss soon, Imissmyfelinefriend.

EachandEveryone Sat 10-Jun-17 21:21:04

Any news?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now