Talk

Advanced search

101 Kittens - Help/Advice Needed Please!!

(2 Posts)
ZingingCutie23 Tue 30-May-17 15:20:05

This is my first post (long time lurker!) and its a long one I'm afraid!

My ILs have two young cats, both of which are pregnant (not planned). Cat 1 is due slap bang in the middle of their 10 day holiday in July, cat 2 will have roughly 6-8 week old kittens by this point.

My ILs live a half hour drive away from us, on annoying back roads in the middle of nowhere. They don't want to pay for a cat sitter/cattery so have asked if we can help by looking after all the cats. My husband has agreed, saying we will do it - but he works full time and has two incredibly time consuming hobbies (is out 3 evenings a week and one full weekend day), so basically he has said I will do it without actually asking me (I would have said no!).

I am not particularly pleased as we have a cat of our own who I absolutely adore - she is used to us being around for feeding and she doesn't have a cat flap so needs us to let her in and out. For this reason we can't just pack up and stay at my ILs for a week. But I have a 2 year old who won't take kindly to being put in the car a few times a day, and I also have a pretty full schedule (I work P/T and we fill the other days with playgroup, swimming lessons etc) so not ideal to be driving an hour out of my way each day. I am also not sure where to put my DS in their non child proofed house while dealing with the cats/kittens.

More importantly, I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO LOOK AFTER KITTENS!!

What I need to know, if anyone can help me out, is:
1. how much time would we need to spend with these cats & their kittens over a 10 day period? Realistically, I could spend maybe an hour there a day, DH could call in an additional few days a week. Is this enough?
2. what level of care do they require? i.e do we need to toilet train, feed, worm, etc or does the mother cat take care of them entirely?
3. If cat 1 gives birth while we are there, what do we do? If she gives birth while we aren't there is this an issue?

I can't back out of this but I'm getting really worried. I am a sucker for my cat (& cats generally!) but I'm a very anxious person - can anyone calm me down with help/advice?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Tue 30-May-17 15:26:27

I am a cat lover. ...
But I would have to refuse. Far too much responsibility and much can go wrong!!
Tell dh unless he is taking the time off work to commit to the offer he will himself have to tell his dm.
Yanbu to refuse to do this. .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now