Talk

Advanced search

She's killed a wren and I'm in bits

(10 Posts)
SingingSands Tue 30-May-17 12:17:47

Our deadly hunter female has killed a wren. 😥

There are 3 chicks still in the nest and I'm devastated. I think she's killed the female, there's another one bobbing about that looks slightly larger that I'm presuming is the male. Will he be able to feed 3 chicks?

I'm so angry with her, I shrieked so loudly that the neighbour and his sons came running out their house!

Deadly female hunter is hiding under the bed.

I'm so sad! We've loved watching the wrens and the chicks 😥

SunsOutPlumsOut Tue 30-May-17 12:20:35

Sad but don't have a go at the cat - no point now. Get her a bell collar maybe?

Maudlinmaud Tue 30-May-17 12:29:13

I found a headless black bird in the garden this am. I'm not sure if it's my cats work or magpies who have been keeping an eye on their nest. Cats do these things. It's sad but it's inevitable.

SingingSands Tue 30-May-17 12:36:36

Yes, it's nature, I have to accept it. We've had many dead things over the years.

I'm overly invested in the wrens I think, having watched them build their little nest just outside our back door. I do hope the male can provide for the chicks but suspect it will be very hard work in his own.

I'm still very cross with her. But then she's very cross with me as she's on a course of eye drops (which she hates) for an eye infection. Even with a gammy eye she's a skilled huntress!

Weedsnseeds1 Tue 30-May-17 19:02:57

You could put out meal worms and suet to help the dad feed the chicks, but they are ground feeders, so you'd need to lock the cat in for a while and make sure you picked up leftovers afterwards.

Floralnomad Tue 30-May-17 19:06:56

The most sensible thing to do in the future is to disturb any nest building that you see in your garden before they get to the laying eggs stage and hope they find somewhere safer .

mortificado Tue 30-May-17 19:23:11

Found a buzzard on the lounge floor this morning. Wanted to wring her neck. Also egg shell everywhere and some blood sad so I guess she ate the baby too.
It's upsetting and infuriating!

ClashCityRocker Tue 30-May-17 19:24:36

A buzzard?! Holy shit!

I'd love a cat but definitely couldn't cope with that.

ElizaDontlittle Tue 30-May-17 20:03:19

Crikey, a buzzard shock shock I am lost for words....
The garden was covered in feathers on Saturday. I have not found a body/any parts of a bird. I've gone round the house sniffing!! in case she's stashed something anywhere.

Maudlinmaud Tue 30-May-17 20:09:13

Something in the air? I posted earlier about finding a headless blackbird. We have now found another one also minus a head. Im quite sad about as I've been watching them for the past few weeks coming and going. Magpies did seem to be watching the nest but don't think they would kill adult birds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now