Talk

Advanced search

Advice on cat insurance please

(8 Posts)
baabi Mon 29-May-17 21:37:16

We have adopted a lovely cat from RSPCA recently. She 4 years old, quite placid and seems to be in good health. We live on a main road so she is mainly an indoor cat as we are afraid to let her out. We are however getting our backyard ready so she can go out safely. We were considering pet insurance, just in case, but we are not really sure what to go for. Is it really worth it, does anybody has any advice on the best one to get?

Toddlerteaplease Mon 29-May-17 22:46:52

Yes. You must get them insured. One of my indoor cats became critically ill in February and almost died. Her very bill was £4000. Her sister then decided to subluxateher jaw three times, this lead in x-rays, 2 CT scans. An orthopaedic surgeon and surgery to fix it. Total cost in the region of £4-5000. I pay £28 a month to cover them both. And pay £60 excess. They are with Tesco. Who are incredibly efficient and helpful. Very glad I took out their top level cover. Ha I g them ill was terrible without having to worry about the cost as well.

Vinorosso74 Mon 29-May-17 22:50:55

Yes definitely worth it! Vet bills soon add up. Get lifetime cover in case she develops any ongoing conditions e.g. diabetes, hyperthyroidism.
We're with Petplan, they aren't the cheapest but the level of cover and speed processing claims is great.

CatsInKilts Mon 29-May-17 22:56:02

I think it's definitely worth getting insurance.

My indoor cat (his choice, not mine) was in perfect health until he was 4 years old. Within the space of a year he ran up vet bills of several thousands of pounds.

I'm with PetPlan and have never had any problems with them paying out.

Wolfiefan Mon 29-May-17 23:01:10

Depends. First cats didn't roam much. DH and I both worked full time and could easily access several thousand pounds if needed.
Now I'm not working and we have two roaming terrors. Definitely insured!

baabi Tue 30-May-17 01:49:53

Thank you all. I shall look into insurance tomorrow. Pet plan seems a good option.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Tue 30-May-17 16:48:47

I would definitely recomment Petplan. They aren't the cheapest but they have paid out for Harry's jaw issues without a problem, even when the vet thought they wouldn't.

dementedpixie Tue 30-May-17 16:50:34

Tesco was half the price of petplan for my two. Took out the highest level cover but haven't needed to use it yet

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now