Talk

Advanced search

Cat has seemingly turned into a human newborn

(16 Posts)
icantfindagoodname Mon 29-May-17 19:17:11

My (female) cat is around 2 years old, had her since she was 8 weeks and we all love her dearly, but lately she has started waking me up (by nudging me and batting my face) a couple of times a night and crying when she wants food. she has a cat flap which she is fine using so it isn't that she wants to go out and she has 4 80g pouches plus biscuits to eat. Is it just a phase? or should i be concerned? She is fine in general, her usual happy self. Any help greatly appreciated smile

GeillisTheWitch Mon 29-May-17 19:20:24

Is she spayed?

icantfindagoodname Mon 29-May-17 19:21:36

yes, she was done around 6 months ago.

Smeaton Mon 29-May-17 19:26:12

Tat that adopted me used to wake me up in the night, meowing art the bedroom door, running up and down the stairs etc etc.

In the end I shut her in the kitchen with a plate of food and her cat flap unlocked. She seems to crave going out in the night ifi try to lock the flap or stop her.

ElizaDontlittle Mon 29-May-17 19:41:17

I don't sleep with my cat. She goes in the kitchen, with some dry food, a bed, at least one box, toys, and in the winter, a heat pad. Some cats remain very nocturnal - when I'm working a lot and out all day she sleeps all day and wants to play all night. When I'm around a lot I can flip her sleeping to mostly night time. So I think sometimes you have to be tough, remember it's not the same thing as licking a newborn in the kitchen wink and protect your sleep. Just my opinion.

ElizaDontlittle Mon 29-May-17 19:41:59

Gah. Locking
Must learn to proofread!!

Smeaton Mon 29-May-17 19:44:24

licking a newborn in the kitchen

You mean you don't have a special room just for licking babies?
That's weird, I tonight everyone had a Licking Parlour.

icantfindagoodname Mon 29-May-17 19:47:49

licking haha! great mis-type. I am definately too soft on her but I am 13 weeks pregnant with twins so she does need to get used to being out of the bedroom. I think I am just more concerned that there is something wrong as she was fine until 2 or 3 months ago, but there are no signs of upset or distress, other than what I have mentioned.

greenwool Mon 29-May-17 19:52:28

So did it start around the same time that you got pregnant? I didn't have a cat when I was pg but have read more than once that they can tell...

icantfindagoodname Mon 29-May-17 20:13:08

Do you know I have never put the timings of both together but yes it was around the same time. And I think I heard the same thing. Maybe that explains things.

susurration Mon 29-May-17 20:41:16

It could be something to do with your pregnancy, but what it is about pregnancy I don't know. I've heard several people say their cats/dogs were more attention seeking or attentive when they were pregnant.

When I was pregnant my cat sat on my knee at any opportunity even though she normally chooses husband over me. Although it could have been because my temperature shot through the roof and she does love being warm.

Oldraver Mon 29-May-17 20:42:12

Have you thought of getting a timed feeder. We have one for Ernie for when we go away for a weekend (DS comes in also) but he is used to OH coming home just after 6 and on the days he doesn't work started to wake us up at the same time.

We now set his feeder and he's quite happy with that

TheMysteriousJackelope Mon 29-May-17 20:45:36

We adopted our cat who was around two years old. She started waking DH multiple times a night. We worked out she expected him to get out of bed and stroke her back while she ate, or sit beside her at the very least. She'd bite his back until he got up, if he wrapped up in the covers she'd dig him out and bite him. He tried putting her dishes beside the bed and stroking her, no good, he had to be out of bed.

In the end we kept a garden mister beside the bed and sprayed a little at her every time she disturbed us. After a few nights she only had to see the mister to go away.

She still woke us up with presentations of toy rubber balls during the night on a regular basis though. Now she is around 19 she wakes me at 5.00 a.m. to go outside and parade up and down the front path to eat weeds hmm.

Mermaidinthesea123 Mon 29-May-17 20:49:06

I shut mine in the dining room/kitchen over night or I'd never get any sleep at all. I leave them with their sofa, food, water and a cat flap to the garden and they can come back up in the day.
They are 10 and 14 and appalling at night.
Smoky lies on my chest and snores in my face and Bluebell constantly fidgets and is not averse to biting me if I accidentally move in the night.
Not to mention I can hear her dessicating the stair carpet and they occasionally have noist spats over who is sleeping where.
I can't take it any more.

icantfindagoodname Wed 31-May-17 18:47:39

I just feel bad shutting her in, despite having lots of food and the cat flap being one of those where only our cat can get in so is always unlocked. She is absolutely like another child and despite (don't hate me) not being a cat person I have found myself rather fond of her and like I say, a bit worried about the behaviour change.

Toddlerteaplease Wed 31-May-17 20:24:00

I get woken up by the girls wanting cuddles. Snorg will push me over until she has me in the correct position for her comfort. Got woken up by Fatty head butting me then parking herself on my head. Was quite pleased by the head butting as it's the first time since her jaw started playing up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now