Talk

Advanced search

Cat pulls my hair at night but scratches door if I lock her out!

(12 Posts)
ChickenVindaloo2 Sun 28-May-17 17:54:45

I adopted my 10 year old cat a year and a half ago. And I luffs her.

But invariably at some point in the night, like 4am, she will pull my hair with her teeth. Constantly, until I get up and lock her out of the bedroom.

But then she scratches the door like mad to get in.

I tried putting tin foil on the door (she hates it when I get the tin foil out when cooking!) but that didn't work.

I think it's food or attention she is wanting. Or both.

Help! How can I get a good night's sleep?!

Thanks!

WellThatSucks Sun 28-May-17 18:01:36

You can't get a good night's sleep if you own a cat, stands to reason. Their need to walk about on your head, pull your hair, sleep on your face, 'sing' loudly and charge up and down the house like a stampeding herd of elephants at stupid 'o clock trumps your need for sleep. HTH.

ChickenVindaloo2 Sun 28-May-17 18:08:49

Hmm. I did worry that I was asking the impossible!

JumpingJellybeanz Sun 28-May-17 18:11:13

Our cat took to crying outside the bedroom windows recently. Now we sleep with a water pistol under the pillow. She stopped pretty quickly after that.

Auchan Sun 28-May-17 18:11:18

Our boy does the same. Scratches to come in about 10pm sleeps all night on the bed and will wake us at 5:30am every morning to go pee. If we lock him out he just keeps scratching the door. We can't win but he's so cute and we love him so really we don't mind grin

YesItsMeIDontCare Sun 28-May-17 18:11:55

Give up now OP.

Nap when you can, it's the only solution.

{gives Leroy the stink-eye for my 6am wake-up call}

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 28-May-17 18:13:14

Could you wear a shower cap to bed?

caffeinestream Sun 28-May-17 18:13:53

We found the only solution was to shut the cat downstairs, but have a door to stop them getting up the stairs, so our door remains scratch-free. doesn't stop them running around like mad things at 5am though

totallyLosingIt Sun 28-May-17 18:39:22

Our cat used to do this too. I tried all sorts, but it got to the point where he actually hurt himself as he ripped the carpet up and scratched his paw open on one of those gripper strips. So I invested in one of these; https://www.amazon.co.uk/PetSafe-Ssscat-PDT17-14118-Spray-Deterrent/dp/B00DUVJQRO/ref=sr11_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1495992997&sr=8-12&keywords=Cat+spray
and I think it's only had to go off once or twice before cat got the idea and hasn't attacked the door since.

ChickenVindaloo2 Sun 28-May-17 20:18:31

Thanks all.
I am sleeping with a plant-water-spritzer thingy cos it's so hot atm, I use it to spray my face/sheet when I go to bed. Might see if little princess can be deterred that way...
<bad mother>

BikeRunSki Sun 28-May-17 20:19:58

We also shut out cat downstairs.

LittleGreenPear Sun 28-May-17 20:33:38

Just shut the cat downstairs? It's an animal, why let it disturb your sleep?

Ours is no bother as she's never had run of the house in the evening. She goes in the conservatory where she sleeps in her bed or she chooses to go outside

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now