Talk

Advanced search

Giving valium to our cats? Help please!

(3 Posts)
hooliodancer Sun 28-May-17 17:07:31

We are moving next week. One of our cats is just impossible to pick up or even get close to when she knows something is afoot.

The journey to our new house is 5 hours.

Our vet prescribed valium for them both. Half a tablet each.

I am terrified to give it to them though in case they get ill from it. I know the catching of them and journey will be horrific if I don't give it though.

They are 4, and were feral. They are big outdoor lovers, cat litter refuses, have to have vet home visits as they revert to wild animals when afraid. The move is going to be so traumatic for them.

We will have to keep them in an empty house the night before we move, as all the furniture will be packed . We have decided to do this as I reckon they will be less freaked out than going to a cattery.

I feel really guilty moving them as they love it here so much.

Allergictoironing Sun 28-May-17 19:46:38

They should be fine if the vet has prescribed it, I know it is used quite often for cats that are in very stressful situations. You could also try a bit of Zylkene on their food for a few days in the run up to the move, that seemed to help my ex-ferals round bonfire night.

RubbishMantra Mon 29-May-17 00:33:35

You could crush it up into powder and hide in small amounts of food, at the small dose they'll be prescribed, they probably won't detect it. Not a strong tasting drug either. Strong smelling food like tuna or mature cheddar.

You can also buy a product called pill pockets to hide the tabs in.

Failing that, there's always the Cat Burrito if you dare.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now