Talk

Advanced search

worried - my cat has started peeing on carpet, but pee has no odor

(6 Posts)
user1495915989 Sat 27-May-17 21:32:53

I have a 13yr old female (adopted when 10yrs old) who has recently started urinating outside the litter tray (one area only).

She has never done this before and has 24/7 access to my back garden via cat-flap, which she often uses. There are 2 litter-trays that she will also use. She will drink from puddles, so I can't say if her water intake has increased. Nothing in her life has changed to explain this new behaviour.

The odd part is the urine has no real odor. .

Has anyone had similar experiences? (I will be taking her to the vet next week)

Many thanks

Toddlerteaplease Sun 28-May-17 02:43:23

Yes. One of mine sometimes does it on the sofa. Doesn't smell at all. She did it last week and I suspect it was because the litter tray was over full and a bit shallower than she likes. I block access to her spit and it sorts it out. (Usually)

NotYoda Sun 28-May-17 06:24:53

I t could be cystitis

It could be she's in pain, and associates the litter tray with the pain and so avoids using it

Could be kidney dysfunction

Vet!

user1495915989 Sun 28-May-17 08:15:28

Thanks for the replies. The litter trays are not really being used and cleaned when they are. I have placed a tray right where she pees and she just pees on the carpet next to it!!

I will definitely be taking her to the vet this week and let you know the outcome.

acatcalledluna Sun 28-May-17 10:46:37

Very dilute urine tends not to have an odour. Can sometimes indicate kidney issues or hyperthyroidism. Alternatively could be a UTI. Definitely worth getting checked out.

MrsBertMacklin Sun 28-May-17 17:41:56

Sounds like cystitis, mine had this, exacerbated by an E. coli infection, and still used the litter tray for actual pee, but did her cycstitis pees on soft fabrics.

Worth bringing a pee sample with you to the vet to speed up diagnosis.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now