We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I haven't enjoyed having a cat sitter

(20 Posts)
EachandEveryone Sat 27-May-17 08:12:19

I don't get the benefits at all. Lovely nurse from our vets started her own business. Farm I usually use fully booked. Dad terminally ill I had no choice. I have a lodger that accidently locks my cat out so I made sure the joint cat flap was locked and the neighbours agreed. I paid half the money. On the first visit the lodger text to say she had just deposited a big blob of cat food with out mashing it and the cat hadn't touched it so I text and sorted that but she nicely told me she should be eating dry it's better for her and I told her it's 85 degrees outside so I would really like her to have wet down as well. The first full day she did she text to say Daphne had been fed by the neighbour at lunch time (I had asked the neighbour to pop in but not to feed her) I said just chuck it and feed her fresh. She then said the lodger was playing with her so she recommended that she only comes in once in the evening. I said are u sure as the lodger never plays with her she said she didn't want me wasting my money. So the next night at 6pm she text me to say she feels sorry for my cat as she's been very clingy and wants to play. I was heart broken. I text her back and said this is why I needed you to go in twice a day the money and the wasted food does not bother me as long as my little cat is getting some attention it's just me and her 24/7. So she is going back in twice a day and I cannot wait to bloody get back tomorrow night. Am I being a helicopter parent and precious? I've never had a cat before. Seriously the farm is nearly half the price and she's outside looking at the workers and the wildlife all day I don't think I would use a sitter again.

Highalert Sat 27-May-17 08:15:31

Can't your lodger of your neighbour just feed her next time?

Mermaidinthesea123 Sat 27-May-17 08:17:23

She sounds like a seriously shit cat sitter. I have a wonderful cat sitter that my cats adore and there are never any problems.
The difference is that she does a lot of form filling beforehand and an hour long (at least) initial conversation about how I like my cats to be managed and fed so you don't get all these text messages when you are away.
I know that she is going to go in and look after my cats as I have asked.
She knows that Bluebell hates strangers and likes to be left well alone and Smoky likes at least an hours company.
I have a lodger too and she days the catsitter does a great job while I am away and the cats are always happy.

ooerrmissus Sat 27-May-17 08:17:46

She's a crap sitter. She should be giving the food you want to give when you want her to give it. She should be checking water and emptying litter. She should be spending time with your cat regardless of what else the cat has been doing. My sitters do all of the above, plus water plants and open/ close curtains and bring in parcels.

Unless you need to I'd stick to the farm, you both clearly like it.

Mermaidinthesea123 Sat 27-May-17 08:18:33

And seriously she is not a professional to text you about this stuff while your dad is terminally ill ff's.

Smeaton Sat 27-May-17 08:18:56

First of all, I'd be telling the lodger to fuck off. Locking a cat out by accident? Are they very stupid or just arseholes?

You have a person living in your house, renting a room from you, yet you cant trust them to be decent to your pet? Boot them, readvertise for a pet friendly lodger and make a deal that when you're away they look after the ccat in exchange for half rent those weeks.

Sorted.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sat 27-May-17 08:40:54

She sounds the total opposite of my lovely cat sitter. She goes in twice a day, feeds what I leave out for him and I know he's in safe hands. I don't know what I'll do if she packs up as I don't like the idea of a cattery at all.

Oh and I agree with getting rid of the lodger. Once is a mistake, but repeatedly locking out the cat? There's no way I'd put up with that.

EachandEveryone Sat 27-May-17 08:55:38

Oh if you know me on here I will know what happened and I was devastated twice he's done it and said but she's a cat. I said she's a flat cat. I work night shifts three times a week. She can actually go out in the day she likes to like on the fire exit but the Flatdoir door needs to be open so she can get BACK in he knows one more time and he's out. Where he is from they are all farm cats. He's anotherone that says she souls be having half a sachet. It says on the back 2-4 what is it with people telling me what I should be going. I'm so upset I've enclosed a photo

Want2beme Sat 27-May-17 11:11:46

She's beautiful. Get rid of the people who are causing you and Dcat stress. You shouldn't be having to deal with this anxiety at a time when you DF is poorly.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Sat 27-May-17 11:13:46

What a beautiful cat!

I'm sorry Each, I didn't mean to sound as though I was telling you what to do. Some people are so inconsiderate and I hate the attitude of 'it's a cat'.

I find the feeding guides confusing. I've just checked Harry's food and it says she should be having 3-4 pouches a day. He's on 3, but he can't eat dried food so that's all he has. If she's happy on what you're feeding her then I wouldn't worry. Is your cat sitter trying to change her to what they sell at the vets?

I think it's wrong that she's texting you and telling you how unhappy your cat is. Harry loves his cat sitter (she gives him toys which helps) and she sends me pictures of him. She only texted bad news once, and that was when he was missing and she was at a loss of where to look for him!

I wouldn't give up on using a cat sitter in the future in case she can't go to the cattery, but I would definitely look at others. I contacted a different one, but when it took her two weeks to reply to a message I didn't consider her again.

juneybean Sat 27-May-17 11:15:37

I used to leave a massive list for my cat sitter (over protective parent) and she always did as I asked and text to say positive things! She certainly didn't bitch at me! I don't want to be stressed when I'm away from my furbaby

HemanOrSheRa Sat 27-May-17 11:20:07

You are not being precious Each. You are paying her to look after Daphne and she should be following your instructions. You know your cat best. Simple. Your lodger is an arsehole. I know you love your girl desperately and you should absolutely not tolerate anyone telling you how to care for her. Very much the same as with a child.

AND.... I agree with Mermaid the ONLY thing the cat sitter should be doing is texting you to tell you Daphne is fine and possibly sending you some nice photos to reassure you.

HemanOrSheRa Sat 27-May-17 11:21:05

Cross post with others there.

EachandEveryone Sat 27-May-17 11:46:59

Well she sent me a photo today of Daph in her rucksack saying she wants to go home with her! I don't know if I feel better or worse I'd already asked her to water the plants on the landing I reminded her again and she said she'll do it tonight which means she hasn't been doing that either.

I'm on my way to radio 1 big weekend with my nieces sadly they were loads for sale due to Manchester. So I'm having a day off. I will try to enjoy Katy Perry!

acatcalledluna Sat 27-May-17 12:44:41

I cat sit regularly. I do a meet and greet before sitting for the first time to get all the details - food, favourite toys, things the cat likes, and nuts and bolts like where the fuse box and stopcock is. I actively encourage cat parents to leave me a list with as many instructions/details as possible so they know their cat will be happy. I send pictures daily of the things we're getting up to, and under no circumstances would I send a message with problems in unless it were an emergency. I tell clients I'll spend 45 mins or so with their cat, but if one wants lots of fuss I'll stay longer. Your choice of food should absolutely not be criticised.

She sounds like a terrible cat sitter. There are great ones out there!

GreenPolishToGo Sat 27-May-17 13:19:56

Oh what a love of a cat. Such a pretty face. OP your cat sitter sounds a bit hapless, I'm afraid.

acatcalledjohn Sat 27-May-17 14:11:14

Both your cat sitter and lodger sound unreliable. I would agree with the PP who said to get a pet friendly lodger who can cat sit when you are away for a reduction of their rent.

By the way, your cat looks just like our girl!

ElizaDontlittle Sat 27-May-17 18:38:18

I'm so sorry it's made the whole thing even more stressful than it already needed to be. Daphne is beautiful and the relationship you have with her is so similar to mine with Hetty - they really are everything when they are all you have. I also have a rather dysfunctional family. Hope you've had a good day 'off' and she's delighted to see you when you get home. I agree it's time for a new lodger as well. flowers

Ollivander84 Sun 28-May-17 14:49:50

She does sound rubbish. Mine text me every time she visited with little photos of him playing and saying what he had done "had a fuss, liked being brushed, gave me a head bop" etc

EachandEveryone Sun 28-May-17 18:01:10

Mine just text to say she'd knocked over two plants and she's cleaned up the best she can I cannot wait to get home this train can't come fast enough

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now