Talk

Advanced search

Ohmigoodness kittens! What will we need?

(8 Posts)
Silvercatowner Sat 27-May-17 07:58:42

It's been 18 years since we had kittens in the house and now that it looks like 2 small furballs will be coming to live with us (as long as the homecheck goes well) I realise I have forgotten what kittens are like and what they need!
So - separate beds or might they cuddle up together (they are siblings)?
One or two litter trays? And what is the best litter now?
What else do we need?
So exciting, we've lived with elderly cats for so long and it will be great to have littlies in the house again.

thecatneuterer Sat 27-May-17 10:42:23

Don't bother with separate beds at the moment. And one litter tray should be fine for now. I think wood pellet litter is the best. It doesn't smell at all and isn't gritty on paws. Other posters have other favourites.

You need insurance. Other than that, just see how it goes. Remember to post photos!

Silvercatowner Sat 27-May-17 11:42:41

Thank you!

Badcat666 Sat 27-May-17 11:57:35

Agree no need for separate beds, you know they will end up sleeping on your head as they grow grin

I found the fine grain clumping litter like sanicat (we use tesco one now) much easier for my kitten as the wood type went everywhere and and he hated it and refused to use the litter tray until we stopped it.

Toys galore (even rolled up paper or tin foil) to keep them occupied and a tall sturdy scratching post! Cardboard boxes for them to hide and play in (we cut little holes in them so they could use them as bolt holes and play dens)

Def get laser pointer toys for cats! Mine loved them to an extent we had a few all over the house!! You can get them cheap online.

BrexitSucks Sat 27-May-17 12:07:19

First & foremost, you need a camera. You are Not Allowed to talk about Kittens without lots of posting pics here.

Find out what food they are used to & get that in to start.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Sat 27-May-17 13:00:19

Balls of wool
Laser points
Cat tree
Toy mice
Oh and you do know. Its mumsnet law to update with pictures.grin

Badcat666 Sat 27-May-17 13:16:16

Oh yes! Pics, Tis the MN kitty law wink

Silvercatowner Sat 27-May-17 16:06:14

When they arrive there will be pics! Thanks for all the advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now