Talk

Advanced search

So my Cat has started shitting on the carpet...

(7 Posts)
BoobleMcB Sat 27-May-17 02:40:28

My very old cat has started shitting on the living room carpet. Even when the litter tray is clean and the back door open.

He's 17. He seems to go most during the night and if he's already used the litter tray (occasionally he'll use it twice) he'd poo on the kitchen floor (laminate), usually behind the younger cats dish! This was a pain but not unmanageable, he's old after all and increasingly skinny but this last week he'll do it on the carpet. Any advice?

thecatneuterer Sat 27-May-17 11:43:13

I would get another tray. Perhaps two more. Make sure it's not too high sided if he's a bit stiff with age.

BoobleMcB Sat 27-May-17 11:54:58

But he's started doing it even when the tray is clean and the back door open

thecatneuterer Sat 27-May-17 15:00:43

Ah. I don't know then. If it tends to be at night you could always confine him to a dog pen at night to spare your carpet. Failing that, if you have money to throw at the problem, replace your carpet with Amitco or similar. It's wonderfully cat proof.

BoobleMcB Sat 27-May-17 16:38:47

It's like a massive two fingers up from him lol but i don't know why. He was always a grumpy cat when he was younger (was also a rescue cat) but he's the most social he's ever been in his old age. He's almost surgically attached to my side lol. And typing this has just made me realise I've just gone back to full time work having been off long term sick and at home all day...hmm

thecatneuterer Sat 27-May-17 16:42:10

There you are then. Give up work. Problem solved smile

user1471452279 Sat 27-May-17 16:48:20

If he's elderly he might be starting to struggle with arthritis in his hips. If so a low tray with a cut out front and sand rather than litter can be much more comfortable for them. I'd get him checked by your vet as there are also painkillers and supplements that can help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now