Talk

Advanced search

Worried about a local feral cat

(13 Posts)
dailydance Fri 26-May-17 22:38:22

Poor boy got into a v bad fight today. Bite on his head and blood in his bowl after he ate, so a mouth / chin injury too. He's totally feral and I can't get anywhere near him as he just runs away. I'm going to call a charity (not rspca) tomorrow to see if they can trap and treat him. I'm v worried about the little bugger. I can't think of anything else to do.... any advice?

Weedsnseeds1 Sat 27-May-17 02:37:09

Trapping and checking over sounds the best plan. Maybe lost a tooth on top of the fight?

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 27-May-17 08:02:19

Your very kind to want to help him. Poor boy must be in pain.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 27-May-17 08:02:53

I wonder if they can lop his balls off while he's in there?.

shouldwestayorshouldwego Sat 27-May-17 08:09:25

We had similar situation. Cats protection league gave us a trap and over a series of days we fed the cat closer and closer to the trap, gradually getting it so the cat would go all the way into the trap. We then took him to a vet who treated and neutered (arranged by cats protection). He turned out to be FIV positive so was taken to a retirement farm otherwise he would have been rereleased in our garden. If you are in London then @thecatneuterer might be able to help.

dailydance Sat 27-May-17 09:55:52

Will definitely get his balls lobbed off and have his fleas, ear mites and probably worms sorted.

Thanks v much.. will try the cat neuterer. I was afraid that if he is FIV positive then celia hammonds would put him down

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 27-May-17 10:02:11

I don't think celia Hammond would do that shock

Vinorosso74 Sat 27-May-17 10:04:08

Good on you for helping him. FIV isn't a death sentence (well it shouldn't be), their immune system isn't as strong but no reason they can't live to a good age.
The FIV cats which come to the CP I'm at tend get homed quickly as they go to indoor homes. Poor souls often look a bit rough around the edges but tend to be big softies.
Good luck with the cat.

Vinorosso74 Sat 27-May-17 10:07:28

Ooh just reread he's totally feral. Ok so maybe rehoming isn't an option unless he turns out to be calm once the pom poms are gone.
I could be completely wrong but don't Celia Hammond have a group of FIV cats living together somewhere or is that just a nice idea I had......

thecatneuterer Sat 27-May-17 10:36:01

We don't put down anything unless incurably unwell and suffering. We don't even routinely test for FIV and don't see it as a reason to treat a cat any differently if it is FIV positive. Once neutered FIV cats can mix with non FIV cats without issue.

Where in London are you OP?

thecatneuterer Sat 27-May-17 10:38:42

The only problem is that we are extremely busy. My list of urgent trapping jobs is well over 30 and keeps growing. Our other rescuers have similar lists. And the list of non urgent trapping jobs seems to be infinitely long.

dailydance Sat 27-May-17 16:08:57

@thecatneuterer - I'll PM you where I am if that's ok?

Feral cat (now named Al Capone) only comes in the evening and not every evening at that so it's going to be tricky. Over the last couple of weeks I've tried to get him in a feeding routine but he's not totally in it yet.

dailydance Sat 27-May-17 16:15:10

I've PM'd you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now