Talk

Advanced search

Solutions for having windows open when cat needs to be kept in?

(17 Posts)
Needingsomeadvice Thu 25-May-17 09:59:15

We have reserved a lovely adult cat and we will be able to collect her in a few weeks, but with the weather being unseasonably hot right now I am thinking of having to keep her in for the first few weeks and how hot our house will be.
Recommendations please for solutions to this? We have UPVC double glazed which have side openings with a solid middle pane. We are in rented so can't do a lot structurally. We are not massively wealthy so would prefer something that isn't going to cost the earth, but also isn't going to be broken out of within minutes!

dorothymichaels Thu 25-May-17 10:47:01

I've been looking into these.

www.amazon.co.uk/d/Cats/Flat-Cats-Window-protection-Standard/B00PKFB3BA?tag=mumsnetforum-21

Needingsomeadvice Thu 25-May-17 11:02:53

Thanks - these look good.
My previous cat was not so much of an issue as we got him in January and because he had multiple health issues he was not really ready to go out for months, but we did not have windows open so much. We would have liked to be able to have them open after his 'curfew' though!

MsMims Fri 26-May-17 00:30:54

As above, flat cats (or make your own much cheaper) or google 'window restrictors'.

Toomanycats99 Fri 26-May-17 01:01:01

You can get little bolt things that go on the hinge and stop it opening too far.

dorothymichaels Fri 26-May-17 06:38:01

MsMims, I'd be keen to hear tips on making one! The flatcats are not cheap.

RitaMills Fri 26-May-17 08:50:54

I'm guessing buy the gauze like material from a haberdashery along with some lengths of Velcro fastening and sick to the window using some sort of picture adhesive for walls (which most supermarkets sell). If you're good at sewing you could probably make it look pretty good, I'm a bit shit at that sort of thing though.... you should see the state of poor DS' Beavers jumper with all its wonky little badges sewing on. blush

EachandEveryone Fri 26-May-17 09:39:06

I have flat cats and they are amazing. However, ive been searching screensto keep out flies on amazon do you think they are similar they are very cheap.

ineedamoreadultieradult Fri 26-May-17 09:41:38

Our cat has to stay in as she has epilepsy. We either only open the windows a small amount (they are too heavy for her to push any further) or on the kitchen window we have some netting which we stretch over the gap and just secure with a bit of tape.

Allergictoironing Fri 26-May-17 09:52:50

Much as I love my Flat Cats for windows, I'm very a bit broke at the moment and can't afford a custom Flat Cats for my french doors. I've poked around a bit & bought myself strong tension poles and cat proof netting. I will stretch the netting between the poles & then put those either side of the door going from floor to ceiling wedged in as firmly as I can.

RitaMills I really wouldn't recommend gauze like material from a haberdashery! My babies have completely wrecked my lovely voiles, and that's without trying to break through them. Girlcat has taken to stretching herself full height up the Flat Cat screen and leaning on it, occasionally sort of bouncing against it - there is no way anything light weight would last 5 mins against her.

dotandstripe Fri 26-May-17 10:10:53

I have Flat Cats too. One has been up for 3 years and is still going strong so the expense is worth it. And they stop insects coming in too which is a major advantage.

justpeachy74 Fri 26-May-17 10:24:16

Following. No time to read all of the posts at the moment...

EachandEveryone Fri 26-May-17 10:39:18

I wonder what this would be like

dotandstripe Fri 26-May-17 11:19:32

I wouldn't trust those thinner mosquito nets. I had some in the past and it's really flimsy so cats could easily rip it or pull it down.

EachandEveryone Fri 26-May-17 11:24:19

Ok I need it for the spare room I have plants growing outside and there are flies getting in.

My flat cat has lasted the past year and I'm sure it will last longer I'm wondering if I will ever need to replace it really as she's never shown much interest in getting out since she was a tiny kitten

MsMims Fri 26-May-17 14:37:59

Dorothy if you're handy with a sewing machine they're easy to make with a mesh like this

Definitely wouldn't trust thin misquito type netting. Used to have one of those decorative net things above my bed as a teen and the cats took great joy in running and hanging off it, ripping it to shreds.

dorothymichaels Fri 26-May-17 19:55:42

Awesome thanks MsMims. I'm not bad with a sewing machine and DH is pretty handy. We'll sort something between us!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now