Talk

Advanced search

Cat limping

(12 Posts)
kittytom Fri 19-May-17 18:43:50

My cat is limping. He is an outdoor cat but he is immunised and was checked out recently.

The other day he got a scratch on his nose and I am getting him checked out tomorrow morning in case he has an infected wound from fighting (he used to be a stray and is a bit of a bruiser) but I am now worrying it is something more serious as I know little of his history or even how old he is, though I think around 10 maybe. He doesn't seem like an elderly cat.

Any ideas what it might be? Feeling a bit sad as am a worrier. This cat is a constant worry but a sweetheart and I would be gutted if it was something serious.

Want2beme Fri 19-May-17 18:55:37

It's good to have it checked. Is he a fighter? I've found over the years that when a cat limps or can be because they've had a fight and have been hurt by the cat they've fought with. Most of the time the limp disappears and they're fine. He might have been hit by a vehicle. Hopefully not. Has he been neutered? See what the vet says. Don't get stressed. He'll be ok.

kittytom Fri 19-May-17 19:17:37

Thanks! Yes he is neutered. Little chance of a car around here. I would say it is highly likely that he is a fighter as he used to be a stray. He has recently moved onto our patch permanently so maybe a territory thing.

But the last time I took a limping cat to the vet she was put down so am paranoid - though she was admittedly very elderly and had lost loads of weight.

Want2beme Fri 19-May-17 19:28:02

Cats are very powerful when they need to be. He probably got a belt from another cat. Is he eating ok? That's always a good sign.

Ollivander84 Fri 19-May-17 19:30:54

Could be an abscess maybe? They're easily treated but v painful

kittytom Fri 19-May-17 19:45:38

Yes he wolfed down two bowls of food tonight then asked for more, so hopefully a good sign! He has been friendly and did let me have a look at his leg. He is lying in his cat house on his fleece now which is unusual at this time of night but maybe it is too painful for him to go off gallivanting.

kittytom Fri 19-May-17 19:46:59

I thought maybe abscess - am so hoping it is that and easily treated but he has black fur so I couldn't see anything!

Weedsnseeds1 Fri 19-May-17 23:40:14

More likely to be an injury than a chronic condition if he's quite young I would have thought, but vet is the best idea.

OneFlewOverTheDodosNest Fri 19-May-17 23:43:46

If he's letting you come near him and having food then it's probably just a wee injury. Cats tend to hide if they're seriously hurt because they go into defensive mode.

kittytom Sat 20-May-17 11:33:07

Well the vet thought most likely an infection from a fight so has given him antibiotic jab and cat calpol! He said to bring him back if it carries on and he would x-Ray. His ears were warm and he had a temp. Since the calpol he does seem brighter. He said unlikely anything sinister. He said he had actually put on weight since his jabs a month ago and that he was a bit too porky round the middle!

On a related note, how much food would you give an adult male cat per day? He does have an exceptionally large appetite (which I put down to him previously having been a stray and obsessed with finding food) and is very vocal about wanting more... but I don't want to over feed him.

YetAnotherSpartacus Sat 20-May-17 14:07:26

bit too porky round the middle!

How rude. Poor puss. Insult to injury I call that.

kittytom Sat 20-May-17 16:45:20

I know, charming right? Those were his exact words as well grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now