Talk

Advanced search

Blood in kitten poo

(6 Posts)
BonfiresOfInsanity Fri 19-May-17 10:15:16

Is there any kind of litter that I can you that would enable me to see if our 13 week old kitten has blood in his poo. I am going to call the vet as this morning he had an accident (well, actually he got locked out of where his litter tray is by accident!) and pooed on the floor and there was some blood so I'm worried.

Normally he poos in normal litter but I haven't seen any blood but would you as it's quite dark litter.

Toddlerteaplease Fri 19-May-17 10:40:49

Maybe try the silica stuff. Could you pop to your Gp a d ask for a stool sample pot and take a sample to take to the vet.

BonfiresOfInsanity Fri 19-May-17 10:55:02

I'm taking him to the vet at lunchtime and unfortunately I've cleaned up the poo with anti bacterial wipes and binned it. I should have thought.

I will look into that silica stuff. In the meantime is it worth taking any stools in his litter box (if he does anymore before lunch).

Toddlerteaplease Fri 19-May-17 11:17:31

You could do. At least you can have a closer look at it.

TimeIhadaNameChange Sun 21-May-17 10:19:43

What are you feeding him? I noticed blood on my hand once when I picked up my cat (when she was a time kitten) just after she had done a poo. I came to the conclusion it was because she was on an entirely dry food diet (what she'd had at her mother') and it was just too dry for her insides to handle. I bought her some pouches and although she was unsure what she was supposed to do with the meat at first she soon got the idea, and I've never found blood since. I did mention this to the vet and he agreed with my prognosis.

Not saying this is the reason for yours, but just a suggestion I thought I'd throw out there.

BonfiresOfInsanity Sun 21-May-17 17:31:51

Thanks Time, he has mainly dry food and pouches twice a week. Always has lots of fresh water out.

I took him to the vet on Friday who said he seems fit and well, no temperature, very lively and has put on weight. I have been taking poo samples and need to give these to vet to check for any nasties. She did also suggest it can sometimes be an intolerance to some brands of food, he has James Beloved kitten food so a reasonable brand but could still be intolerant.

It'll take a week for the samples to be analysed so we might know a bit more then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now