Talk

Advanced search

Pet Health Club at the vets.

(11 Posts)
DeleteOrDecay Thu 18-May-17 23:24:26

We are getting a kitten on Monday (as mentioned on previous thread about cat food). I'm now looking at vets in my area, I think I've found one I like so will be registering and booking DKitten in for a check up and first vaccinations ASAP.

They have a 'pet health club' where you pay a monthly fee for various benefits. On the face of it, it seems like really good value. But being a complete novice I thought I'd get a second opinion.

The plan at this particular vets is £11.90 a month, and for that you get:

^Two visits a year for a 10 Point Health Check
(one with booster and one six months later)^
Routine annual vaccinations
Year-round routine flea, round and tapeworm treatment
^Pet Health Check Record Book
Free nail clipping from our nursing team^
Free weight checks and nutrition advice from our nursing team
^Free administration of worming and/or flea preparation from
our nursing team^
10% off routine consultations
10% off emergency consultations
33% off microchipping
10% off primary vaccinations
10% off additional vaccinations (e.g. rabies and kennel cough)
10% off routine neutering
10% off in house blood tests
^10% off routine dental procedure^s
^10% off shop items and dental care products
^
Does this sound like a good deal? Does anyone else use a similar plan with their vet?

They also do a kitten package with a one off fee of £59 which includes the usual vaccinations, microchipping, neutering, 1month of flea and working treatment etc.

It's a minefield this new pet business!

onlineavonrep Thu 18-May-17 23:34:13

Unless tour kitten is going to be an outdoor kitten I personally think it'll be a waste of moment. The second offer of £56 for micro chipping, neutering etc sounds good value though...

onlineavonrep Thu 18-May-17 23:34:59

*your
*money

That was a lot of typos in one post!!

DeleteOrDecay Thu 18-May-17 23:41:59

Thanks for the reply. The main draw with the monthly plan is the fact that flea and worming treatments are included. From what I understand they are quite expensive to buy? Although I haven't looked at exact costs yet. I suppose the plan is something we can take out at a later date if we feel the need. We will be getting pet insurance so we're hopefully covered for any potentially large expenses.

Toddlerteaplease Fri 19-May-17 09:11:08

I looked at one of those and decided for indoor/garden cats. It wasn't worth it. For an outdoor cat it maybe.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Fri 19-May-17 09:16:29

I wish my vet did something like this, it would save a fortune on flea and worm treatment. Harry doesn't go far but he's flea'd monthly and wormed quarterly much to his disgust!

NellieFiveBellies Fri 19-May-17 09:19:32

the healthy pet club. i have that for my cat. its a good way to spread the cost and it means i dont forget or delay her check ups because the vets remind me when they are due and its all already paid for. i think routine checkups are a good thing for a pet to have. things can be spotted and treated early. it probably isnt any cheaper than just paying for flea and worm treatments and annual boosters when you get them and more expensive if you wouldnt otherwise have your pet's health checked twice a year but i think it is responsible to do it (get them checked) and 11 quid a month is easier than a larger sum once or twice a year.

DeleteOrDecay Fri 19-May-17 10:10:41

Yes that's what I was thinking Nellie. Lots to think about it seems. Thanks for the replies everyone.

Oldraver Fri 19-May-17 10:30:44

I have this for my cat. I previously had two cats and one was more prone to fleas, of course they were treated but thought this a better way to spread the cost etc. Ernie doesn't go out much beyond our garden so has never really had them.

The first year the reduction in chipping and neuturing was worth it

Weedsnseeds1 Fri 19-May-17 23:48:34

If the cat is going outdoors that sounds quite good value. However if you are in a tick area, the flea and tick treatment is more expensive than flea only, so worth checking if that is included.

lottieandmia Sat 20-May-17 11:32:37

I do the healthy pet club for all my (indoor) cats. Spaying/neutering is included and so are vaccinations, check ups and flea / worming treatments also included.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now