Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I need a new carpet but DCat is a scratcher

(12 Posts)
TSSDNCOP Wed 17-May-17 21:49:02

Despite being provided with several posts, she loves a go at the stairs. What can I do to save the new carpet?

Weedsnseeds1 Wed 17-May-17 22:56:19

Get seagrass. Mine came with the house and I wouldn't have necessarily chosen it, but indestructible!!

ProudAunty2nine Wed 17-May-17 23:10:07

Interesting ....

talking to my DCat this evening as you do and she was scratching the side of the sofa , sometimes its the carpet sometimes its the sofa ... as she does .... and we discussed the fact that I am in the process of getting a new carpet and sofa for the living room and she had better find something else to annoy me with ... dont think she was listening .... will investigate sea grass too then, thanks for the idea!

ILoveDolly Wed 17-May-17 23:14:35

Just don't get a looped one!

Weedsnseeds1 Wed 17-May-17 23:17:51

I have curved scratching post things that fit around the sofa.
Current cat uses those, previous one wasn't a sofa scratcher. Previous cat clawed the carpet to death and not a mark on it.

Melfish Wed 17-May-17 23:18:35

We've got sisal (I think, it looks like the stuff on cat scratching posts) on our stairs and landing. Does the cat scratch it? Does she heck, she has a massive go at the wool carpets in the bedrooms instead. She has got a scratching tray too and goes outside much of the time.

Kokusai Thu 18-May-17 09:01:11

Does the cat like scratching posts/pads at all or just carpet? Might be worth trying to find something else they do like (door mat? cardboard scratcher?) and if you find one they like put it buy loads and put them in all the places where they like to get at the sofa/carpet now?

Justmadeperfectflapjacks Thu 18-May-17 09:02:49

In the past I have sprayed the door bars with Impulse deodorant to deter my dcats!! It worked!! They have a huge cat activity thing that they actually use now!!

TeddyIsaHe Thu 18-May-17 09:07:06

Feliway do a spray that worked for me, my dcat was shredding the sofa and I was desperate for a new one, but didn't want to fork out a grand for her to then ruin this one! Sprayed the stuff on the old one and it stopped her scratching, magic stuff! Don't know if it will work for all cats, but worth a try? Spray it in the areas she usually scratches and if it works you may just have to spray the whole floor grin doesn't smell though so not so bad!

SoupDragon Thu 18-May-17 09:11:57

I have this exact problem too! FatCat has shredded the carpet in the doorway to the living room and I'm reluctant to replace upit unless I can find a cat proof one.

Monkeyface26 Thu 18-May-17 09:15:34

Another vote for seagrass. My 2 enjoy a good scratch on ours and it is completely unmarked (unlike the wool stair carpet).
I was recently advised that they find velvet sofas unrewarding to scratch. Does anyone have experience of this?

Toddlerteaplease Thu 18-May-17 09:49:33

Mine shredded my cheap fabric ikea sofa, but haven't laid a claw on my expensive leather one. Though I did take out the damage cover just in case. They are very good with their scratching post.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now