Talk

Advanced search

Smell of cat wee, but can't find the source

(12 Posts)
jmh740 Tue 16-May-17 19:16:10

I have two cats, yesterday when I was coming down stairs I could smell cat pee, today as soon as I opened the front door I could smell it. I've got down on my hands and knees and sniffed around even roped the kids in but we can't find the source of the smell.
Any suggestions of how I find where it's coming from?

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Tue 16-May-17 19:17:28

You can get a special light that highlights it I believe. Some kind of UV light? Someone who has one will probably be along shortly...

dementedpixie Tue 16-May-17 19:17:47

Apparently a uv light will show up cat pee

ifonly4 Tue 16-May-17 21:02:26

Do you have carpets? If so, feel around the edges - they might be a bit sticky, or press some paper towel into the carpet to see if you can find anything damp. Check the stairs as well, my girl used to see on the corner stair at the top.

Toddlerteaplease Tue 16-May-17 21:48:09

I've had the same thing. But my two are very well behaved and if one of them does do it, she has a particular spot. Might well be imagining it though!

theotherendofthesockportal Tue 16-May-17 22:00:37

I bought a uv torch from eBay. My male cat was horrified when he realised I could now see where he had pee'd!

Then I bought some stuff from pets at home that neutralised the smell and he hasn't done it since,

TheWildRumpyPumpus Tue 16-May-17 22:11:25

Lilies stink of cat wee as I discovered having searched my house for hours one weekend

eleventybillion Tue 16-May-17 22:13:49

Find the most expensive rug in the house. It'll be there for sure.

Bitter experience

professorvape Wed 17-May-17 02:46:18

Blacklights apparently show up cat wee. Other than that, a methodical crawling around on your hands and knees sniffing every inch of skirting / table leg / wall / doorframe is the only way! I feel your pain angry

jmh740 Wed 17-May-17 17:23:23

I think I need to buy a black light! I'm getting paranoid about it now I hope I don't smell of cat pee too!

isseywithcats Wed 17-May-17 17:38:52

rumpypumpy lilies are poisonous to cats so please dont have them in the house not just the stamens but the whole plant

Comps83 Wed 17-May-17 20:48:56

I got a pet pee UV torch from BnMs for £1

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now