Talk

Advanced search

Maximising cat space

(9 Posts)
iloveeverykindofcat Tue 16-May-17 10:10:09

So I'm moving back to my hometown in July, when my contract finishes, and will by staying with my mother for a while until I buy my own house (depending on if I get the job in the neighbouring city, which I have a good shot at but won't be certain for a while). Because she has dogs, the cats will have to live temporarily in the large converted loft plus a large outside cat pen. The loft has two bedrooms and a little corridor, so there's a fair bit of space but its not going to be as spacious as where they live now. To increase their space we've added shelves and 'tunnels' (a long sliding cupboard that runs the length of the main bedrooms). Does anyone have any other ideas to increase space for them? Its a temporary situation but I want them to be as happy as possible.

MsMims Tue 16-May-17 16:11:08

Shelves and tunnels sound good - don't think I'd go to the effort of doing much more if it's only temporary. You'll soon be amazed at the mad fits they have all over the place to burn off energy! My clan charge around like a herd of elephants, it's very funny to watch.

Wolfiefan Tue 16-May-17 16:12:37

Cat tree for climbing?
How will they get to the outside pen?

Radishal Tue 16-May-17 16:15:36

Google Jackson Galaxy- US cat behaviourist- although he would suggest shelves and climbing places which is what you are already doing.
Cat grass? Our indoor girl loves that as well.

iloveeverykindofcat Tue 16-May-17 16:23:28

Cat grass is a good idea! They'll have access through a loft window which leads directly into the upper level of the pen (it will have platforms for them to hop up and down). They've got 2 cat trees but one is crap because the washers aren't long enough to hold the posts in place securely. I'll see if I can buy long washers on their own. Thanks for the ideas, keep em coming!

EachandEveryone Tue 16-May-17 18:34:12

Are you sure this is temporary? Sounds like luxury to me!

HemanOrSheRa Tue 16-May-17 18:40:30

They have cat shelves on Zooplus. You can click on customers photos - they look amazing! I while away many an evening cooing over other people's cat pics on there blushgrin.

EachandEveryone Wed 17-May-17 04:01:31

Or you can get Argos's own floating shelves and put an extra bracket in. I'm in a flat and mine is more than happy with jumping from wardrobe to bed to wardrobe.

iloveeverykindofcat Wed 17-May-17 06:52:49

Ooh I like the look of those shelves!
Each I hope its temporary...I'm 30, I don't want to live with my mother forever grin. Seriously, all my family are mad about our animals, we always pull out all the stops for them! My mum lives ruraly and one point she 5 corgis, 2 rabbits, birds nesting in the garden and a stray cat she fed daily who slept in the shed. She made up a little bed for him and everything grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now