Talk

Advanced search

Bob Martin Spot on - I am terrified!

(74 Posts)
LobsterQuadrille Mon 15-May-17 21:57:13

I administered Bob Martin's Spot on for fleas to my cat earlier today. She's had lots of similar stuff in the past but not this (she is 13). She has been sleeping or drowsy ever since.

I love my cat but my DD (at university) loves her more than anything in the world. Is this a normal side effect? Should I be as worried as I am?

PinkSparklyPussyCat Mon 15-May-17 21:59:59

I think you need to speak to your vet. I don't want to scare you but there have been a lot of stories about problems caused by Bob Martin products. I'm sure she's fine, but better safe than sorry.

Let us know how she is.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 15-May-17 22:01:06

Right, rinse it off & phone the vets. Their lines are manned 24hr.

Vinorosso74 Mon 15-May-17 22:02:59

Do you still have the packaging? Only as it will have the ingredients list. I would call the vet too. The emergency vet phone lines are usually manned by nurses so they can advise.

LobsterQuadrille Mon 15-May-17 22:04:34

Ok rinsed off. How do I find an emergency vet number?

Please tell me she'll be ok

LobsterQuadrille Mon 15-May-17 22:04:57

Yes I still have the packaging

puttingthegenieback Mon 15-May-17 22:06:21

Your usual vet probably has information about how to reach an out-of-hours vet on their office voicemail. Good luck.

NoSquirrels Mon 15-May-17 22:08:26

Unusual for her, presumably? I mean, my cats sleep a lot so I might not worry, but you must think it unusual for her normal behaviour?

Your normal vet should have out of hours info on their answerphone or website. If not, google.

[Aside, I'm surprised about Bob Martin stuff - I thought the consensus was that whatever's in it is so ineffective/low dose it doesn't work anyway?]

Vinorosso74 Mon 15-May-17 22:09:29

Yes call your regular vet or look on their website and you will get out of hours number.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 15-May-17 22:15:07

Normal number. Keep calm.

LobsterQuadrille Mon 15-May-17 22:18:34

Thank you for the advice. I've called the out of hours service. They said I could take her in but I don't drive and it would be £191 plus treatment costs. Yes of course if I need to but am on ESA at the moment. I'm having a vet callback tonight.

So scared.

LobsterQuadrille Mon 15-May-17 22:20:20

She does sleep a lot but not like this - it's a heavy sort of sleep. Although she is purring and has just got up to look out of the window.

I can't stop crying.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 15-May-17 22:22:11

Getting up to check outside sounds good. My colleagues kitten was running in circles & drooling heavily.

NoSquirrels Mon 15-May-17 22:24:23

Has she been unusually active yesterday/earlier? In case there's a simple explanation for her sleepiness.

Try not to worry. Getting up and looking out sounds good.

Fragglez Mon 15-May-17 22:26:42

Op was it definitely the one for cats? I know that sounds stupid and i don't mean to be patronising, but the chemical used for dogs is dangerous for cats. (there have been cases of the wrong packaging too) You've definitely done the right thing washing it off.

I hope the vet can help asap flowers

LobsterQuadrille Mon 15-May-17 22:31:30

Fragglez not at all patronising and exactly what the callback vet has just asked. So glad I still had the packaging as yes, definitely for cats and yes, the horror stories are apparently regarding seizures when the dog version is put on cats. She's got up and washed her paws and is using her litter tray. I put the stuff on her at 12 so quite a while ago.

LobsterQuadrille Mon 15-May-17 22:33:07

Ok she is eating now too.

Sorry to sound so pathetic.

Floralnomad Mon 15-May-17 22:36:31

Not pathetic at all , but for future reference it's always best to get your vets advice about flea / worm treatments rather than buying from a supermarket - at worst the stuff is dangerous and at best it probably won't do the job anyway .

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 15-May-17 22:36:42

I think most of us go to pieces when it's our pets.

NoSquirrels Mon 15-May-17 22:37:51

Glad she's seeming better, OP.

LobsterQuadrille Mon 15-May-17 22:40:53

Thank you, all of you - she does seem better and is looking out of the window but ..... I have a horrible feeling that I shall stay up all night watching her.

I swear I wasn't this bad with DD.

Fragglez Mon 15-May-17 22:41:32

Oh i'm so glad she is feeling better!

AliCat36 Mon 15-May-17 22:43:18

I once put that stuff on my cats assuming it'd be ok as it's widely available. At the time I didn't know any better. One cat was fine the other was a bit unwell for a couple of days then recovered. I've read lots of bad stuff about Bob Martins but nothing good at all. No idea why it's still in the shops.
Sounds like your cat'll be fine op but get a vet's advice about flea treatment in the future. They can tell you which ones are most effective as some don't work.

LobsterQuadrille Mon 15-May-17 22:43:37

I'll let her sleep with me but I'm sure that I won't be sleeping - earlier when I was completely hysterical I had images of waking up beside a dead cat (ok, I can be dramatic).

LobsterQuadrille Mon 15-May-17 22:46:11

Alicat I'd like to know why it's still being sold too. As several PPs and the vet have said, it's not even effective.
It's good to know that your cat was ok after a couple of days. Maybe Cordelia will be the same.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now