Talk

Advanced search

Persians in a cat cafe.

(24 Posts)
Toddlerteaplease Mon 15-May-17 15:36:11

At a cat cafe and there are two Persians. I just feel so sad for them. Persians need special care and although they are well looked after it's not the same. They have health issues. So are staying put. It's much better than the cat cafe in my own city though. Much more relaxed and they genuinely love the cats but I'm just so sad for them. One of them is only four.

Kokusai Mon 15-May-17 15:42:20

I just can't see how it can be fun for the cats living in such a big group and having so many people around all the time.

Toddlerteaplease Mon 15-May-17 15:53:13

The cats all seem quite happy in this one. The one in my city I don't think they were. It's just the Persians that make me sad.

Want2beme Mon 15-May-17 23:37:10

I think cat cafés should be stopped. Poor cats. What a way to have to live.

EachandEveryone Tue 16-May-17 00:24:39

In this country?

Toddlerteaplease Tue 16-May-17 06:10:56

Yes. In the East Midlands. The one in Nottingham made me very uncomfortable. This one was better as the cats were clearly loved and were well cared for, but Persians are special cats who need special care. Got to cuddle a Devon Rex though a d stroke a bald cat

Toddlerteaplease Tue 16-May-17 06:12:13

Yes I agree that they shouldn't be allowed. They both act as a rehoming centre, but for the permanent residents it's no life.

Weedsnseeds1 Tue 16-May-17 07:04:07

I find the whole concept a bit odd. There's a cat pub in the nearest city to me but they are the landlord's pets and the pub has become famous for them rather than setting up as a cat pub and the cats can come and go.
I have visions of you visiting two days in a row with a very large handbag....

msrisotto Tue 16-May-17 07:06:06

I wonder how successful at re homing they are?

user1487671808 Tue 16-May-17 08:07:20

I've never heard of a cat cafe, what is it exactly?

Toddlerteaplease Tue 16-May-17 09:22:49

It's a cafe that has cats in it. Real ones. Weeds, yes I almost put her in my bag! Need to not want to rescue every Persian! (Apparently the woman who had my pair also has a black male that maybe either a brother or a son of one of mine. The rescue are keen to get them off her, so I think I'll hold out for him!)

EachandEveryone Tue 16-May-17 10:30:40

My friends just been to Japan and they are everywhere she thought they were great I can't imagine I'd enjoy having tea with a cat perched on my head

Toddlerteaplease Tue 16-May-17 10:44:08

I got a cuddle with a Devon Rex yesterday which was lovely.

Vinorosso74 Tue 16-May-17 11:56:35

I'm not sure on the whole cat cafe thing. I imagine it must be quite stressful for the cats being with other cats like that. Better than them being homeless but then what happens when the fad is over?
Pub cats however I like that. I wonder if it was traditionally to keep the mice and rats at bay?

acatcalledluna Tue 16-May-17 12:02:53

I'm not a massive fan of cat cafes in general.

Toddler excuse my ignorance, but in what way do Persians need special care?

Oliversmumsarmy Tue 16-May-17 12:06:23

The cat cafe I have visited had super chilled cats and visitor numbers are monitored.

We commented on the fact that they were so laid back as opposed to our lot which are into everything

EachandEveryone Tue 16-May-17 12:14:44

Mine would love it I have to admit

Toddlerteaplease Tue 16-May-17 13:14:47

Luna, they have issues with having flat faces and the long haired ones need regular grooming. Maybe I'm just a bit precious about them though!

Kokusai Tue 16-May-17 13:29:08

@Toddlerteaplease hopefully they get better grooming than when they are owned as 'pets'. I think the cat cafe near me in London has people with animal care qualifications working there.

AlletrixLeStrange Tue 16-May-17 14:20:06

I have Persians and I wouldn't say they need much special care? He needs brushing regularly, his eyes wiped and health checks, but I do that for my other cats anyway.
Not sure how I feel about the whole cat cafe thing tbh

Toddlerteaplease Tue 16-May-17 15:24:24

Clearly I am just a helicopter Persian cat parent then. Theses are my PFP's (Precious first Persians)

YoungBritishPissArtist Wed 17-May-17 11:04:23

I always wonder if one of these cafés goes bust, what happens to the cats? sad

Toddlerteaplease Wed 17-May-17 11:35:03

I wondered that too. Some of them would probably be kept by the staff but the rest would end up in a shelter. Though they seem quite successful at rehoming.

Oliversmumsarmy Wed 17-May-17 12:27:26

The one I visited the owners were the ones that ran the cafe. I don't think they would be put into a shelter.

Or if the cafe went bust they would be repossessed as company assets

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now