Talk

Advanced search

I'm worried about Portia :/

(13 Posts)
StillMedusa Sun 14-May-17 23:58:56

My feisty, annoying, but purry and very loyal little tortie isn't right.
She's always been light, thin and very fussy but she is 17+ now and so we have , for many months, been just feeding her whatever she demands (tuna, chicken or fish as she vomits cat food)

The last few days she has asked for food and then taken maybe two bites and left it. Then cries for more ..I have to show her her dish and wait with her while she nibbles at it. Tonight she vomited a large amount.. (usually it's just a hairball as she is long haired, plus a little food) and we found she had pooed on the hall floor.. a solid poo but with drips around it. She is very clean and always uses her litter tray as she doesn't really go out much anymore. As far as I can tell she has been pooing ok as I scoop /change the litter every day.

She CANNOT take pills... seriously it is a vet+2 nurses job as she is terrified and very feisty.

I am worried that she is moving towards the end. I will make an appointment tomorrow and get her seen asap but looking at her behaviour over the last 5 months or so, she is going downhill sad

It HAS to be an easy fix because she will not tolerate a regime of meds. She has been the cat of my childrens' childhood and growing up years and while she is a total pain in the ass, I love her very much.

I do not want to have to 'make the call' sad

Toddlerteaplease Mon 15-May-17 08:33:33

No advice I'm afraid but sending a hug for you. Keep us posted. I love the name Portia for a cat. Sums them up perfectly! flowersflowers

ElizaDontlittle Mon 15-May-17 09:54:32

Another feisty tortie owner here (same with tablets too) - sounds like some difficult decisions may be coming. I'm so sorry for you and for Portia - I hope you can get her to the vets today and that she is not in any distress.flowers

cozietoesie Mon 15-May-17 10:35:56

I'm very sorry, Medusa. I know what Portia means to you.

You'll likely Have already been in touch with the vet by the time yo read this - did you get her in today?

Kokusai Mon 15-May-17 10:55:52

Poor StillMedusa and poor Portia :-(

Oldraver Mon 15-May-17 12:10:38

flowers

StillMedusa Mon 15-May-17 16:39:14

I have to wait til Thursday to see 'her' vet as he is away. I'd rather her regular vet saw her as he has known her since she was tiny and will I think, be more perceptive about the changes. Obviously if she gets any worse before then than I will just take her straight in.
She has thrown up again today but only a little (looks like grass in it) ..on my clean bedding of course. I just managed to get her to eat a little fresh deli ham, so will see if that stays down.

I am SO hoping she is just constipated or something but she is so very skinny now sad I hate her getting old sad

I'll update on Thursday (or before if she has to go in).

cozietoesie Mon 15-May-17 16:42:12

Good luck to her on Thursday then. Let us know how it goes.

Vinorosso74 Mon 15-May-17 22:08:12

Oh poor Portia. It worries me when our old girl (14yo so younger than yours) has off days. It might just be a dodgy belly but best to see the vet.

StillMedusa Thu 18-May-17 17:24:54

Just updating to say that Portia has had a thorough MOT and has passed :D
He thinks she just had a dodgy tum as her guts feel fine, She is a bit arthritic now (can have med if she needs) but she hasn't lost any more weight and her coat is fabulous for a long haired old girl.
I am very relieved.
He added that he suspects she will be around for a long time yet.
She bit us both when he clipped her claws for me grin

She is now sitting in the living room SHOUTING. I suspect she is swearing at me...

Toddlerteaplease Thu 18-May-17 18:01:17

Well done Portia, you shout all you like!

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 18-May-17 18:11:47

#teamPortia 😹

PinkSparklyPussyCat Thu 18-May-17 20:28:34

Yayyy, well done Portia! I'm so pleased she passed her MOT.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now